This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5169 / 54°31'0"N
Longitude: -2.0124 / 2°0'44"W
OS Eastings: 399291
OS Northings: 513514
OS Grid: NY992135
Mapcode National: GBR GJD6.3L
Mapcode Global: WHB4K.1QZM
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323050
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111189
Location: Bowes, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bowes
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
BOWES THE STREET
33/27 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Mid C12 nave; C13 chancel; C14 north and south transepts; c.1404
south porch. Extensively restored and north porch added in 1863 by Messrs. Hay
of Liverpool. Coursed and partly-rendered sandstone rubble; graduated green
slate roofs. Aisleless nave with north and south porches and transepts; chancel.
All windows, except for east window are trefoil-headed lancets of 1863.
4-bay nave: fragments of low plinth; flat buttresses at west; large 3-light west
window under pointed hoodmould; west bellcote with twin pointed openings;
steeply-pitched roof with coped gables and shaped footstones.
Buttressed, lower and narrower 4-bay chancel: C19 priest's door to south; late
C15 Perpendicular 3-light east window with panel tracery and a depressed-pointed
head under hollow-chamfered hoodmould; steeply-pitched roof.
Gabled south porch: moulded pointed-arched doorway under hoodmould with eastern
head stop; worn crucifixion relief in gable. Gabled north porch with pointed-
arched doorway. Mid C12 doorways, within both porches, have chamfered round
arches; datestone (AN:DO:) above north door. Gabled transepts each with 2
lancets; 2 sculptured stones in north transept gable.
Painted and plastered interior. North transept has double-chamfered arch dying
into wall and a pointed-arched piscina with fluted drain. Chancel with similar
arch on moulded semicircular mid-wall corbels; pointed-arched piscina in south
chancel wall has foliated cross-slab head in rear wall; round rear-arch of a
blocked priest's door in north chancel wall.
Fittings and monuments: Inscribed Roman dedication stone in north transept.
Large grave slab,with sword and hound,to west of north door; several other
medieval grave slab fragments. 2 fonts flanking north door: C12 circular bowl
with incised zig-zag on C13 stem with 4 engaged shafts; this stem probably
belonged to the other font, a C13 circular bowl with 3 bands of leafwork, which
now stands upon a re-cut fragment of a Roman altar. Small, possibly C17 circular
bowl, with small relief of a human figure and raised geometric decoration, to
east of north door. Plaque dated 1878, on south nave wall, records a sum of
money raised, by the friends of Thomas Headlam to augment the living of Bowes.
(Rev. William Oliver, The Story of Bowes Church, 1944).
Listing NGR: NY9929113514
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings