This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8186 / 54°49'6"N
Longitude: -1.5405 / 1°32'25"W
OS Eastings: 429624
OS Northings: 547176
OS Grid: NZ296471
Mapcode National: GBR KDPQ.8G
Mapcode Global: WHC4K.94PV
Entry Name: Finchale Abbey Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323217
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110010
Location: Framwellgate Moor, County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Framwellgate Moor
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
FRAMWELLGATE MOOR FINCHALE AVENUE
NZ 24 NE
(North side, off)
2/20 Finchale Abbey
Finchale Priory (q.v.) building, now farmhouse and caravan site shop. Medieval
with alterations including extensive rebuilding of first bay c.1700. Thinly-
rendered large sandstone rubble, the first bay more regular and with eaves
raised in larger stone blocks, with quoins and tooled ashlar dressings.
Concrete-tiled roof with brick and stone chimneys. T-plan, the main range in
line with north transept of church, and between that and river. 2 storeys,
with ground level dropping steeply to left; 4 bays, the first higher. C20
flat-roofed porch in second bay to C19 double doors under C18 moulded cornice.
Thin, flat tooled lintels and sills to all windows, vertical in first bay (the
upper one larger) and smaller in other bays; all with C20 glazing. Roof very
steeply pitched except over raised first bay. 3 ridge chimneys: rubble between
first 2 bays, brick with ashlar band at right of second bay, and brick near
right end. Left return has 2-storey canted bay, with large masonry on ground
floor, the lowest courses probably medieval with plinth, sashes with glazing
bars on first floor, dentilled cornice and high pent hipped roof. Right
return had either buttresses or short section of wall continuing from front,
removed by present owner; now blank. Rear wing, abutting part of second and
third bays, has low shop door on inner return and varied windows; some large
quoins between bays; other return obscured by C20 addition.
Interior: 2 right bays have roughly-chamfered beams and wide joists; fireplace
on cross wall at left of third bay. Similar joists in rear wing. Wide T-plan
stair at right of second bay has ramped grip handrail on boxed-in balustrade.
At first floor centre 2 short flights of steps to left and right rear passages.
Corbelled medieval fire-hood between third and fourth windows, with later
cross wall abutting centre of fire; C19 fireplace on right end gable. First
bay on first floor has early C18 panelling above dado rail; corniced chimney-
piece with pulvinated frieze on cross wall at right. Crown-post and collar-
purlin roof has wall posts and curved braces to 3 bowed beams visible below
first-floor ceiling in 3 right bays. Roof space, only partly inspected, shows
long down braces from square-section crown posts to tie beams, and longitudinal
braces from posts to collar purlin; plastered gable, with doorway, between
first and second bays. Collars to all rafters.
Thought by the editor of the 1837 source to have been a granary, but this is
unlikely in the light of the first-floor fireplace. It may be associated with
the mill thought to have been on the river bank to north of the house. Priory
known locally as Finchale Abbey.
Source: Surtees Society Vol.VI, 1837: Finchale Priory.
Listing NGR: NZ2962447176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings