This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6843 / 50°41'3"N
Longitude: -2.2221 / 2°13'19"W
OS Eastings: 384403
OS Northings: 87203
OS Grid: SY844872
Mapcode National: GBR 21J.302
Mapcode Global: FRA 6778.G3T
Entry Name: Woolbridge Manor
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108362
Location: East Stoke, Dorset, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: East Stoke
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Wool, East Burton and Combe Keynes
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 88 NW EAST STOKE WOOLBRIDGE MANOR ROAD
20/11/59 Woolbridge Manor
GV II *
Detached manor house. Early C17, remodelled, and south west wing added
c 1660. Date stone on porch 1635. Main north facade of brick with stone
quoins and details - remaining walls rubble stone. Tiled roof with lower
courses of stone slates, and coped gables. L-shaped plan, with added single-
storey lean-tosat rear. Brick stacks, with tiers of recessed blank arches.
2 storeys and attics. Main north facade has central 2-storey porch with
hipped roof. Arched doorway flanked by rusticated brick piers with recessed
panels. Above this a recessed circular panel with date stone. On first floor,
a 3-light stone mullioned and transomed window with hood mould - recessed
panels each side. Moulded string course at first floor level. Each side of
porch, ground floor has a circular window with moulded stone surround and a
3-light stone mullioned and transomed window with hood mould. First floor
has similar mullioned windows - flanked by recessed panels. 3 brick arches
from earlier windows survive above string course on each side of porch. Oak
entrance door - probably C17. Interior much altered, but 2 C17 wall paintings
of figure subjects survive on stairs landing. Main south ground floor room has
large open fireplace with timber lintol and remains of bread oven.
At one time belonged to the Turberville family and features in Thomas Hardy's
'Tess of the Durbervilles'. Interesting example of the transition from sub-
medieval to classical design. RCHM Monument 4.
Listing NGR: SY8440387203
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings