This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6855 / 50°41'7"N
Longitude: -2.1094 / 2°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 392369
OS Northings: 87326
OS Grid: SY923873
Mapcode National: GBR 32T.TTD
Mapcode Global: FRA 67G8.B24
Entry Name: No 9 (The Manor House) Including Garden Wall
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108067
Location: Wareham Town, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20
Civil Parish: Wareham Town
Built-Up Area: Wareham
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Wareham Lady St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5190 SOUTH STREET
7.5.52 No 9
(The Manor House)
- including garden wall
SY 9287 1/29
1712. Front of Purbeck ashlar. Side and rear walls red brick. 3 storeys. Moulded
plinth. Moulded strings. Moulded modillioned eaves cornice. Parapet with moulded
cornice and panelled piers: over each window range and over central bay are balustraded
sections: vase-shaped balusters of square section. 5 window ranges, central bay
breaking forward, all quoins chanelled. Windows are sashes with glazing bars in
plain raised surrounds with elaborately moulded aprons. Double doors with 4 flush
panels and 2 glazed panels; flanked by fluted obelisks in relief on moulded plinths;
bolection moulded surround, shouldered and breaking upwards in centre over carved
monogram; pulvinated frieze with ornament in relief and segmental pediment.
Interior. Principal rooms on ground and 1st floors have fielded panelling. Some
contemporary stone chimneypieces on 1st floor, otherwise mainly C19 chimneypieces,
some with fine glazed tile surround. Early C18 staircase with twisted balusters
and fluted columnar newels. Several contemporary brass locks to doors. Arch from
entrance hall to stair hall has fielded panelling, moulded keystones and semi-circular
niches in reveals. Outstanding cupboard in drawing room with very elaborate shouldered
surround and modillioned pediment: shaped shelves and sliding doors with fielded
Rear elevation has stone surrounds to windows, which are mullioned casements with
lead glazing bars on 2nd floor. 1 range of stone-surrounded oculi.
Red brick garden wall in front with ashlar plinth and coping. 4 ashlar piers, with
moulded plinths and caps and fielded panelling.
On the roof is a lead panel with the inscription "This platform was cast by James
Gaylard plumber for Mr George Gould. 1712." The house was owned by Thomas Archer
between 1722 and 1734.
Nos 9 to 19 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: SY9236987326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings