This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3965 / 51°23'47"N
Longitude: -0.6494 / 0°38'57"W
OS Eastings: 494055
OS Northings: 167247
OS Grid: SU940672
Mapcode National: GBR F9H.JLN
Mapcode Global: VHFTT.P5J9
Entry Name: Charters
Listing Date: 28 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469386
Location: Sunningdale, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL5
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Sunningdale
Built-Up Area: Broomhall/Windlesham/Virginia Water
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Sunningdale
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
(South side (off))
Large country house in parkland, now offices. 1938 by Adie,
Button and Partners for Frank Parkinson. Altered and extended
mid C20. Brick faced with small Portland stone slabs,
reinforced concrete flat roof with parapet. L-plan with
extension in similar style on west.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Metal casement windows with glazing bars.
Entrance (north) front: irregular. 2 wings project forward at
a lower level, the left projection has a 10-light window at
first floor, the right projection an 18-light window at first
floor. At ground floor level a 10-light window on the left
which is continuous with a glazed entrance porch, containing
double glazed entrance doors and a flat canopy over. To the
right is a window similar to the first floor window over it.
Between the 2 projections set back above the entrance is a
6-light window. On the right, projecting well forward is the
former service wing with similar fenestration.
Garden (south) front: irregular. To the right of centre is a
5-bay section, glazed the whole height with small panes on the
upper levels. Above this the parapet is broken with an iron
balustrade insert. To the left there are 7 tall windows; three
7-light windows above at first floor. To the right 3 similar
windows at ground floor; on the first floor a 3-light window
on the left and a 5-light window on the right, turning the
corner to 10-lights on the eastern return. On the left the
extension projects well forward.
INTERIOR: entrance hall: black marble dog-leg staircase,
wrought-iron baluster with classical motifs. Doors with bronze
grilles, moulded architraves with bead and reel and leaf
ornament; dentilled cornices with egg and dart enrichment.
Boardroom: panelled. Ceiling cornice enriched with bead and
reel and leaf ornament. Swan-neck pediment over 2 double
doors, with cherubs and foliage in cornice. An elaborate
bathroom also survives.
(Country Life: 24 November, 1 and 8 December, 1944).
Listing NGR: SU9405567247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings