History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Govers Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Meonstoke, Hampshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9734 / 50°58'24"N

Longitude: -1.1242 / 1°7'26"W

OS Eastings: 461589

OS Northings: 119693

OS Grid: SU615196

Mapcode National: GBR 98L.YC0

Mapcode Global: FRA 86JJ.XHL

Entry Name: Govers Cottage

Listing Date: 6 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469173

Location: Corhampton and Meonstoke, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Corhampton and Meonstoke

Built-Up Area: Meonstoke

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Meonstoke with Corhampton

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Droxford

Listing Text

CORHAMPTON & MEONSTOKE
SU 61 NW
FRYS LANE
1888/7/10010
Govers Cottage

II

House. C17 of1656; or earlier C17, remodelled and extended in 1656; extended C18 and with C19 additions and C20 alterations. Timber-framed; infilled, partly rebuilt and extended in brick. Thatched roof with hipped ends. Brick axial stack. PLAN : 2-room plan with lobby entrance in front of central axial stack. The left [S] bay was possibly originally a small1-room plan house, open to the roof, and with a fireplace in a stack on the right [N] end [now the central axial stack], and a floor inserted in 1656 and the right bay added. In about the C18 an outshut was built at the left end and in the late C19 outshuts were added at the rear and at the right [N] end. EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic. 2-window east front. 2 and 3-light casements with glazing bars, smaller attic casements in eyebrow eaves. Small 1-storey outbuilding projecting on right. On left the roof is carried down over brick outshut on end and around rear corner. Circa late C19 brick outshut at rear and flint outshut on north end, both with pantile lean-to roofs. INTERIOR: Left room has slightly cambered chamfered axial beam with cyma stops and exposed unchamfered joists; large brick fireplace with adzed and slightly cambered chamfered timber bressumer with run-out stops; over the fireplace a chalk tablet inscribed R 1656 B'; oven removed. To side of fireplace cupboard made from boards from lobby partition, with scratch mouldings. Painted on side-girt at rear of left room is the date 1660. Right-hand room rough unchamfered exposed joists. Winder stairs beside stack, turned around. Left [S] chamber ceiled, but has exposed frame in end wall with queen-posts and straight wind-braces. Doorway at head of stair , its head cut through soffit of tie-beam of central truss. Right-hand bay has collar, clasped purlins and small saddle nailed at apex.


Listing NGR: SU6159119698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.