This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8428 / 50°50'33"N
Longitude: -2.2955 / 2°17'43"W
OS Eastings: 379290
OS Northings: 104846
OS Grid: ST792048
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y5.2GQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 662W.3JQ
Entry Name: Delcombe Manor
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103496
Location: Milton Abbas, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Milton Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milton Abbas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 70 SE DELCOMBE
2/80 (9/5b) Delcombe Manor
Country house. Built c1750 re-using medieval material from Milton Abbey.
Walls mainly of flint and stone banding, part plastered. Roofs part tiled,
part slated, with coped gables and ornamental finials. In Romantic Gothic
style. Mostly 2-storeyed. Later wings at rear, of brick and slate. From
left end - a building known as "The Chapel" at right angles to main range.
Walls of flint and stone banding, tiled roof with coped gable and finial.
At low level, a 2-light square-headed stone mullioned window with arched lights.
Simple rectangular window over. Remains of 4-centred arched stone fireplace in
this building. Right of this, a single-storey link block of stone, flint and
brick, open at front, forming verandah. Right of this the main house, with
plastered walls and hipped slate roof, plastered end stacks and one ashlar
stack in centre with moulded cap. 2 storeys. 3 gables on front, the centre
one with slight projection, and diagonal buttresses; outer gables rise flush
from eaves, with timber bargeboards. The hipped roof a later insertion -
original profile as on Garden Cottage (q.v.). Central gabled porch with stone
coping and finial, and diagonal buttresses. Segmental-pointed doorway with
part-glazed door. Flanking this, on ground floor, in centre gable, 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows with lead lights. On first floor,,two 4-light
and one 3-light mullioned windows with lead lights. Each side of the centre
gable, ground floor has one 3-light mullioned and transomed window with lead
lights; first floor has one 3-light mullioned window with lead lights. Right
of main house, a single-storey and attic block of flint and stone banding with
hipped slate roof. One brick stack. Ledged door. One casement with glazing
bars and a small loop light. Attic has one flat-roofed dormer with lead lights.
Right of this a screen wall linking the house to Garden Cottage (q.v.). This of
flint and brick banding with battlements. 4-centred arched opening with
quatrefoil panels in spandrels. Carved stone over with Abbot William's rebus
(A. W. with a "mill" on a "turn") dated 1515. RCHM Monument 11. (Dorset. Vol.III)
Listing NGR: ST7929004846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings