This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9138 / 50°54'49"N
Longitude: -2.0977 / 2°5'51"W
OS Eastings: 393230
OS Northings: 112707
OS Grid: ST932127
Mapcode National: GBR 303.QGK
Mapcode Global: FRA 66HP.GM3
Plus Code: 9C2VWW72+GW
Entry Name: Eastbury House Including Attached West Courtyard and Gateway.
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103668
Location: Tarrant Gunville, Dorset, DT11
Civil Parish: Tarrant Gunville
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Tarrant Gunville St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 91 SW EASTBURY
4/40 (5/2) Eastbury House
14.7.55 west courtyard and
Service ranges to mansion, now a country house. By John Vanbuzrgh for George
Dodington and George Bubb. 1717 to 1738. C19 additions. Greensand ashlar
with slate roofs having end ashlar stacks and stone copings. Main facade is
now to the south. Symmetrical, 2 and 3 storeys, 9 bays, 3:3:3. Central block
forms a 3 storey tower with plain parapet. Ground floor has open loggia of
round-headed arches with moulded archivolts, plain imposts and rectangular
piers. Behind this are round-headed sash windows with glazing bars and a
central panelled door. The outer bays each have 3 bulls-eye windows with
ashlar architraves below a plain entablature with a moulded cornice. The
central tower has 3-round headed sash windows with ashlar architraves connected
at the springing line by a plat band. Above a further plat band are 3 small,
segmentally headed sash windows. Below the parapet is a modillioned cornice.
The general detailing of the other facades is broadly similar. The courtyard
gateway is of Greensand ashlar and is of a single round arch having plain
plinths and string courses to the piers. Above is an entablature with corbel
table. Buttresses to the sides are coped with stone scrolls. 2 trees of
considerable proportions have rooted themselves in the top of the gateway.
Internal features: (RCHM). These are mainly of c.1800 and include a number
of chimneypieces, pedimental doorways and a staircase with turned balusters,
square newels, a moulded handrail and a dado with fielded panelling. The north
range has an original stable staircase with turned balusters, moulded handrails
and plain newel-posts.
The original mansion was one of Vanburgh's most important houses and his third
largest behind Blenheim and Castle Howard. It was demolished as an untenantable
eyesore between c.1775 and 1782 and the materials are to be seen reused in many
farmhouses and cottages in the surrounding area. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, 90-93,
no.2. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972,
Listing NGR: ST9323012707
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings