This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7159 / 50°42'57"N
Longitude: -2.4397 / 2°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 369052
OS Northings: 90792
OS Grid: SY690907
Mapcode National: GBR PY.RF6V
Mapcode Global: FRA 57S5.TM9
Entry Name: Colliton House
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104281
Location: Dorchester, West Dorset, Dorset, DT1
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Built-Up Area: Dorchester
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
GLYDE PATH ROAD
SY 6990 7/3 8.5.50.
C16 or C17, altered in early C18 (datestone on demolished outhouse was of 1729).
Portland ashlar. 2 storeys, with 1 storey south west wing, and 3 storey north
east wing. Parapet with moulded coping. North front has 5 ranges of sashes
with glazing bars and beaded stone architraves with keys: central 1st floor
window has round arch with impost blocks and keystone. Wood entrance porch
with beaded panelled sides. Shaped and voluted brackets andposts in front supporting
entablature and pediment enriched with egg-and-dart. Door with enriched architrave
and fielded panelling. Above porch is cartouche containing arms of th Churchill
family, former owners.
South elevation has 3 C16/C17 gables terminated by massive C18 brick stacks
which have blind arcading with ashlar imposts, archivolts and keys.
North east wing has 4 ranges of sashes with glazing bars and moulded stone architraves
with keystones. 1 rainwater head and down pipe of C18. South west wing is
red brick, has modillioned eaves cornice, hipped stone slate roof, and 2 windows
with hollow chamfered stone mullions and casements with iron glazing bars (1
Interior Ground floor room at east end has 1 panelled partition of apparently
Cl6 date. Very good early C18 staircase with fluted composite columnar newels,
alternately fluted and spiral fluted balusters, elaborately carved open string,
wainscotting to dado level, ramped to muntins opposite newels: fielded panelling
with fluted pilasters and enriched cornice at 1st semi-landing West ground
floor room has arcaded recesses at west end. Room in south west wing has moulded
plaster cornice and coved ceiling.
Listing NGR: SY6905290792
Other nearby listed buildings