This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8837 / 50°53'1"N
Longitude: -2.4535 / 2°27'12"W
OS Eastings: 368190
OS Northings: 109457
OS Grid: ST681094
Mapcode National: GBR MX.SQ5S
Mapcode Global: FRA 56RR.V9B
Entry Name: Round Chimneys Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102518
Location: Glanvilles Wootton, Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Glanvilles Wootton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Glanvilles Wootton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 60 NE
7/18 Round Chimneys Farmhouse
House, originated c 1590s, probably added to 1632 with extensive alterations
and demolitions C19. Coursed rubble and rendered with ashlar dressings,
tiled and stone slated,gable ended roofs with round stone stacks to gables
and on ridge to left of door. Main range to south west, probably earlier
service range to north east. Originally a much larger house of 2 parallel
ranges running at right angles to the present ridge with a gabled attic
storey. Main range: 2 storeys. Stone mullioned and transomed, ovolo-
moulded 2 and 3-light windows with wrought iron casements and leaded lights.
Centre right is a smaller 2-light window without transom probably transposed
with front door. Door has moulded architrave and stone head. Continuous
moulded string course returned over ground floor windows as a label. The
service wing has 2 storeys, a 5-light hollow chamfered stone mullioned
window with a square returned label on the ground floor and 2 2-light,ovolo-
moulded,stone mullioned windows above. To the left is a single-light stair-
case window. Right gable has blocked windows and a shallow 4-centred arch,
moulded doorway. To the rear is another 4-centred arch,moulded doorway.
Catslide roof to rear. Internally, there has been much alteration but there
are 2 decorated and moulded round-headed archways with projecting keystones.
North side of house taken down during C19. Date of 1632 originally over
door and date of 159- on chimney. Once owned by John Churchill, Duke of
Marlborough. C W Dale, "Round chimneys","Proceedings of the Dorset Natural
History and Antiquaries Field Club", Vol XXI, 1900, pp 218-222; "RCHM Dorset
Vol III", pp 97-98, no 6. Hutchins John, "History and Antiquities of the
County of Dorset", Third Ed., 1868, reprint by E.P., 1973, Vol iii, pp 744-745.
Listing NGR: ST6819009457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings