This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9246 / 50°55'28"N
Longitude: -2.3029 / 2°18'10"W
OS Eastings: 378804
OS Northings: 113951
OS Grid: ST788139
Mapcode National: GBR 0X0.SPN
Mapcode Global: FRA 662N.LMY
Plus Code: 9C2VWMFW+RR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102411
Location: Sturminster Newton, Dorset, DT10
Civil Parish: Sturminster Newton
Built-Up Area: Sturminster Newton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sturminster Newton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/06/2019
Church of St Mary
(Formerly listed under CHURCH LANE)
Parish Church. Nave, north and south aisles and west tower c.1400; Clerestorey c.1500, chancel, south chapel, north and south transepts and extensive restoration 1820s. Earliest work for John Selwood, Abbot of Glastonbury, 1820s work for Rev. T.H Lane Fox by William Evans of Wimborne Minster. Walls largely of greensand ashlar with ashlar dressings, gable ended roofs of stone slate and lead.
Plan: nave with north and south aisles and clerestorey, west porch with tower over, north and south transepts, chancel with north vestry and south chapel. All work in 'perpendicular' style. Windows with panel tracery with two-centred heads except for those of the clerestorey which have square heads. West door has a chamfered two-centred head, continuous jambs with broachstops and a moulded label.
Three-stage tower: first stage has diagonal buttresses with an original two-light window with two-centred head over the door. The second stage has a west window uniform with that of the lower stage. The third stage has C15 belfrey windows partially obscured by the nave roof and by C19 clock faces. Above is a low C19 stage with lattice panelled masonry and quatrefoil loops surmounted with an embattled parapet with crocketed finials. There is a C19 porch leading to the south aisle.
Internal features: the nave has a four-bay arcade with two-centred arches which crosses the transept. The chancel has a similar arcade of two bays. The nave roof is noteworthy: it is a wagon type of c.1500 with three tie beams, carved bosses and carved flying angels which are situated at the springing point of the transverse ribs. The chancel and transepts have plainer barrel vaults and the north and south aisles, north vestry and south chapel have flat ribbed ceilings.
Pews, pulpit, screens and font C19. Various monuments of C18 and C19. Stained glass of the C19 and C20 including interesting south east aisle window by Harry Clarke, 1921. Externally, under the east chancel window, is an inscription commemorating the Rev T H Lane Fox.
Listing NGR: ST7880413951
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings