This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.898 / 50°53'52"N
Longitude: -2.3313 / 2°19'52"W
OS Eastings: 376799
OS Northings: 111001
OS Grid: ST767110
Mapcode National: GBR 0XB.RD8
Mapcode Global: FRA 660Q.MMC
Plus Code: 9C2VVMX9+6F
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102506
Location: Fifehead Neville, Dorset, DT10
Civil Parish: Fifehead Neville
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Fifehead Neville All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
FIFEHEAD NEWLTE FIFEHEAD NEVILLE: VILLAGE
ST 71 SE
5/6 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish Church, south wall C14, north aisle and arcade c 1500, remodelling
and south porch 1736, roofs and restoration 1873. Coursed rubble, squared
dressed rubble and render with ashlar dressings. Tiled, gable ended roof
with stone copings and ashlar bellcot to the west gable. Plan: nave with
north aisle, chancel and south porch. Windows to nave and north aisle of
1736; semi-circular heads, greensand ashlar surrounds with keystones and
rectangular impost blocks, leaded-lights. The two eastern-most windows
have outward opening wrought iron casements. South porch has an outer
doorway with square greensand head and jambs with a keystone bearing date.
Inner doorway has 4-centred head and continuous stop-chamfered jambs.
Above is a large horizontal stone with traces of decoration, possibly the
shaft of a cross. Early C16 studded oak door with original wrought iron
strap hinges. South east and north east chancel windows are of 2-lights
with straight chamfered jambs and Y-tracery under 2-centred heads with
labels. North west chancel window has a 2-centred head and is of 2-trefoiled
lights with panelled tracery and straight chamfered jambs. The label is
reset and has large coarsely carved king and bishop stops. East window
under 2-centred head with 3-cinquefoiled lights, panel tracery and label with
carved head-stops. Above is a reset large coarse carving of a bishop and a
date stone. South chancel door with 2-centred head and continuously chamfered
jambs. Internal features: 3 bay nave arcade of 2-centred arches with wave
and hollow chamfered mouldings. Piers with 4 half-columns separated by
hollow chamfers. Capitals with fleurons, those to west pier unfinished.
2-centred horseshoe chancel arch with continuous chamfers. Traces of rood
vice to north. C19 arch-braced collar beam roofs with king posts to nave
and chancel, C19 arch-braced collar beam roof to aisle. Reset fielded
panelling to nave and aisle. C17 turned communion rails. C18 pulpit with
fielded panels. C14 octagonal font on greensand base. Various C17, C18
and C19 monuments including one to Roger Goodfellow, one to the Ryves and
one to William Salkeld. Some early glass. "RCHM Dorset Vol III", pp 92-3,
no 1. Newman J and Pevsner, N. "The Buildings of England, Dorset", Penguin
1972, p 204.
Listing NGR: ST7679911001
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings