This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0213 / 51°1'16"N
Longitude: -2.348 / 2°20'52"W
OS Eastings: 375690
OS Northings: 124717
OS Grid: ST756247
Mapcode National: GBR 0VS.TFL
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ZF.13H
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 3 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102904
Location: Buckhorn Weston, North Dorset, Dorset, SP8
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Buckhorn Weston
Built-Up Area: Buckhorn Weston
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Buckhorn Weston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 72 SE BUCKHORN WESTON WESTON HILl
6/65 Church of St John (formerly
listed as Church of St John
GV II* Baptist)
Parish Church. C14 origin with C15 porch. Tower 1861, north aisle
and organ chamber 1870. 1861 work by Thomas Richards of Wincanton,
1870 work by G R Crickmay. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar
dressings. Gabled tiled roofs with stone copings. Nave has stone
slate verges. Plan: Nave, chancel, north aisle, north organ chamber,
west tower, south porch. Tower: 2-stage, embattled with crocketted
finials and diagonal weathered buttresses; chamfer ed, 2-centred west
doorway, trefoiled window with label over; north wall has diamond
shaped window with quatrefoil; segmental-pointed belfry lights with
louvres; sundial dated 1599. Nave has C19 south windows of 2 and 3-
lights under 2-centred heads with flowing tracery and labels with
head stops. North and south chancel walls have C14 2-light windows
under 2-centred heads. East chancel window of 3-lights with Geometric
tracery under a 2-centred head having a label with foliage stops.
Aisle windows are square-headed, of 2 and 3-lights and 'Perpendicular'
tracery. Porch with moulded 4-centred head arch above which is a
canopied niche with pinnacles and crocketted finials containing worn
figure said to represent St John the Baptist. 3-centred, chamfered
south doorway with continuous jambs. Internal features: 2-centred,
chamfered chancel arch dying into flat jambs; 2-centred tower arch
of 2 chamfered orders dying into flat jambs; 3 bay aracade of 2-centred,
moulded arches on piers with 4 subsidary shafts with capitals; 2-centred,
roll-moulded organ chamber arches; combined arch-braced and scissor-
truss nave roof; arch-braced collar-truss chancel roof on corbels;
arch-braced collar-truss roof on corbels to aisle; C15 octagonal stone
font with quatrefoil panels each having a pair of fleurons above, the
whole supported on a moulded octagonal pier on a square base; remains
of rood vice; recess with 2-centred moulded cusped head containing
recumbent effigy of man in C14 dress (said to be Alexander Mobray):
pedimented marble wall plate to Samuel and Ann Clark, 1761;C18 floor
slabs, reset C14 piscina in chancel; C19 pulpit with blind tracery,
C19 benches; C19 glass.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol IV pp6-8, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 121. Pitfield F P
Dorset Parish Churches A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp 128-131.)
Listing NGR: ST7569024717
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings