This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9304 / 50°55'49"N
Longitude: -2.2606 / 2°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 381784
OS Northings: 114577
OS Grid: ST817145
Mapcode National: GBR 0X1.R8V
Mapcode Global: FRA 664N.55C
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103173
Location: Hammoon, North Dorset, Dorset, DT10
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Hammoon
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hammoon
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 81 SW HAMMOON HAMMOON VILLAGE
3/85 Church of St Paul
Parish Church, north nave wall late C12 or early C13. chancel and south
nave wall mid C13, partial refenestration and nave roof C15, porch C16 and
general restoration and west extension to nave 1885. Rubble walls with
tiled roofs, stone copings left. Plan: nave, chancel and south porch.
To the western end of the nave is a C19 timber and tiled, 'Arts and Crafts'
influenced bellcote. Chancel has original angle buttresses. South chancel
wall has a trefoiled lancet to the west and a double trefoiled lancet with
the head pierced by a quatrefoil to the east. The east chancel window is
a graduated triple lancet under a chamfered, pointed head. North chancel
wall has a C13 doorway with chamfered pointed head. South nave wall has
a C19 2 light, square-headed Perpendicular window with a returned label to
the west. East of the porch is a C19 trefoiled lancet. The north nave wall
has a C15 square-headed, 2-light, Perpendicular window to the east and a
C15 cinquefoiled lancet to the west. Centrally there is a blocked, pointed,
chamfered doorway besdie which is a C16 buttress. The C16 south porch is
tiled with a chamfered, round-headed arch. South nave doorway has chamfered,
Interior: C19, moulded chancel arch with respond corbels. C15 pitched
timber, tie beam nave roof. Moulded tie-beams, principals, purlins and
rafters. Purlins, principals and rafters intersect to form 32 compartments
to each slope of the roof. West end is an 1885 addition. Principal
intersections carry wooden foliate bosses. Wall heads have brattished
timber cornices. Chancel has C19 wagon roof. C17 communion rails. C15
reset reredoes with seven pointed niches containing Crucifixion flanked by
figures of saints. Pulpit of carved C17 panelling re-worked. East window has
shafted rere-arch. Chancel stalls incorporate C16 carved panels. Plank
door with box lock hung on strap hinges with fleur-de-lis terminals. C13
tiles reset in west wall. Various reset medieval carved corbels. C14
octagonal font brought to square base by rounded stops. C20 glass. (RCHM,
Dorset, Vol. III, P. 99/100, No. 1, Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings
of England: Dorset. 1972, p. 221).
Listing NGR: ST8178314580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings