This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7349 / 50°44'5"N
Longitude: -1.7776 / 1°46'39"W
OS Eastings: 415790
OS Northings: 92835
OS Grid: SZ157928
Mapcode National: GBR 55B.TMQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 7754.F9F
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 12 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101519
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Christchurch
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Christchurch Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. (North East Side)
SZ 1592 1A/98 (The Town Hall)
1859. Upper floor and cupola a replica of old Town Hall of 1746 which stood
in the centre of the High Street, Church Street, Castle Street junction. Red
brick with white stone dressings, stone eaves cornice and balustrade. Hipped
slate roof with centre domed cupola. Stone quoins, 1st floor string course and
plinth. Stone centre bay under pediment flanked by Doric pilasters. 2 storeys.
5 windows, centre 1st floor Venetian window with balcony. Ground floor windows
and door round arched with moulded stone architraves and keystones, centre 1st
floor same. Side windows 1st floor have gauged rubbed brick arches with triple
stone keys. All windows unbarred sashes. Added ground floor canopy.
The Town Hall, Nos 38, 38a, 42 to 46 (even) and The Ship Hotel form a group with
Nos 25 to 29 (odd), No 31, Nos 43 and 45 and with the walls at the rear of No
29 and those in the Druitt Gardens, Nos 25, 31, 45, 38, 38a, and No 46 are buildings
of local interest.
Listing NGR: SZ1579092835
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings