This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8564 / 50°51'22"N
Longitude: -2.1648 / 2°9'53"W
OS Eastings: 388494
OS Northings: 106328
OS Grid: ST884063
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZG.CGG
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CT.SJM
Entry Name: Town Hall and Corn Exchange
Listing Date: 27 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102198
Location: Blandford Forum, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Blandford Forum
Built-Up Area: Blandford Forum
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Blandford Forum St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
865 MARKET PLACE
Town Hall and
ST 8806 1/50 27.10.50.
Portland stone ashlar front. Signed "Bastard, Architect" and dated 1734. Frieze.
2 storey 3 window front, enriched cornice and pediment. Draped stone vases to
pediment and quoin parapets. Clock in tympanum. The three lst floor windows
have moulded architraves, enriched pulvinated friezes, and pediments, the central
one being segmental. Moulded strings. The ground floor has 3 semi-circular
arches with moulded imposts and archivolts leading to open portico, formerly
a market. The front room on the Ist floor has some original fittings and also
portraits of the Bastards. Behind is a mid-Victorian Corn Exchange with interesting
elliptical roof-trusses. Gates to semi-circular arches in portico.
All the listed buildings in Market Place, and Nos 59 to 73 (odd) East Street,
Conyer's Filling Station, Nos 1 to 7 (odd), Nos 2 to 8 (even) and No 12 West
Street, and Church of St Peter and St Paul form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8849406328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings