This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3287 / 50°19'43"N
Longitude: -4.088 / 4°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 251481
OS Northings: 49722
OS Grid: SX514497
Mapcode National: GBR NY.XRSP
Mapcode Global: FRA 28B5.77M
Entry Name: Langdon Court Hotel
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Last Amended: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100464
Location: Wembury, South Hams, Devon, PL9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Wembury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 54 NW WEMBURY LANGDON
29/3/60 Langdon Court Hotel
(formerly listed as
Country house, now used as an hotel. The medieval house was rebuilt in 1577.
Remodelled in 1707 and altered and extended circa 1877. Rough ashlar. Slate roof.
The original house had projecting wings left and right. During the 1707 remodelling
a new front filled in between the wings and the house is now square on plan around a
small central courtyard. Two storeys, attic and cellar. Granite string course at
first floor level. West front 2:3:2 bays. Gabled either end with ball finial and
sundial. Centre three bays have heavy modillion cornice. Sash windows with glazing
bars some retaining thick glazing bars, stone arches with keystones, centre first
floor in rusticated architraves with grotesque mask keystone. Ground floor granite
mullion/transom windows. Blocked central doorway with two pairs of pilasters,
entablature with large segmental pediment with pineapple finials and quartered arms
of the Calmady and Courtney families in the tympanum.
Similar south elevation but 2:1:3:1:2 bays. Third and seventh bay has rusticated
window architraves similar to west font, and have doorways below in moulded
architraves with mask keystones and broken segmental pediments on console brackets.
Good early C18 lead rainwater heads and drainpipe on south side.
The east front appears to be largely C19, five bays and with two-storeyed gabled
porch at the centre.
The north front is asymmetrical the centre gabled with range of sashes and stone
mullion windows in segmentally headed openings. Late C19 crenellated tower on the
north west corner with octagonal stair turret. C19 brick chimney stacks, and C20
Interior: much altered in C19, but retains early C18 open well staircase with
twisted balusters, heavy hand rail ramp up at corners, carved scroll brackets and
dado panelling. Two early C18 dog-leg secondary staircases. Some bolection
panelling with broken scroll pediment overdoors and cornice. Various chimneypieces.
Brick vaulted cellar on granite piers - circa early C18. Langdon was the Seat of the
Calmadys. Vincent Calmady a lawyer purchased the property from the crown in 1555 and
rebuilt the medieval house in 1577. Josias Calmady remodelled it in 1707. The
Calmadys sold Langdon in 1875.
Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1910 Vol 42 page 522.
Listing NGR: SX5148149722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings