This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4087 / 50°24'31"N
Longitude: -3.7388 / 3°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 276540
OS Northings: 57983
OS Grid: SX765579
Mapcode National: GBR QJ.8R67
Mapcode Global: FRA 371Z.574
Plus Code: 9C2RC756+FF
Entry Name: East Leigh Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101310
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harberton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX75NE EAST LEIGH
5/406 East Leigh Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa C16 or early C17 with later wings at rear. Rendered stone
rubble. First floor of front slate hung. Slate roof with gabled ends.
Rendered chimney stacks at gable ends and rear lateral hall stack with slate
Plan: 3 room and through passage plan, the lower end to the right, rear
lateral hall stack and gable end stacks serving inner room and kitchen at
lower end. 2 storey porch to front of passage. Short wing at rear of higher
end and two further adjoining wings in the angle behind the hall and passage
with an outshut on the lower side in the angle. C19 stairs inserted into
back of passage.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 4 to 5 window range with 2 storey gabled porch to
right of centre with chamfered rounded arch of slate voussoirs and with slate
sundial in gable above dated 1671 and with initial W. Inner doorway has
good heavy ovolo and a hollow moulded doorframe with vase stops, nail-studded
plank door with covermoulds and wrought iron hinges and timber lintel with
ogee stops. C20 2 and 3-light casement windows with glazing bars; first
floor windows are half dormers with raking roofs.
At rear 3 adjoining gabled wings to right, the centre with 3-ligh timber
window with square-section mullions and iron stanchions. Later outshut in
left hand engle. Late C20 glazed conservatory on lower left end.
Interior: Plank and muntin screens on either side of passage with scratch
mouldings to muntin, the screen doorway widened. C19 dog-leg staircase
inserted into back of passage with stick balusters and passage back doorway
blocked. Blocked hall fireplace. Lower room, former kitchen has fireplace
at lower end with massive unchamfered lintel and oven and 2 cross-beams with
rough chamfers. Wing at rear of higher end has chamfered beams with bar
stops and wing behind passage has chamfered fireplace lintel. Stud partition
on first floor to chamber over porch and doorway with stopped chamfer jambs.
Doorway in partition at lower end of chamber over hall has ovolo moulded
jambs with ogee stops, the doorhead removed.
Some of the original roof tursses survive. They have straight principals
with threaded purlins and notched lap joints for the now missing collars.
Some of the purlins and the diagonal ridgepiece is also missing and all the
rafters have been replaced. Original truss over porch.
Listing NGR: SX7654057983
Other nearby listed buildings