This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7338 / 50°44'1"N
Longitude: -1.7739 / 1°46'26"W
OS Eastings: 416050
OS Northings: 92706
OS Grid: SZ160927
Mapcode National: GBR 55B.VQQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 7754.NQ0
Entry Name: The Constable's House
Listing Date: 14 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101453
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Christchurch
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Christchurch Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. (South Side)
The Constable's House
SZ 1592 1A/18 14.10.53.
C12. Built by Baldwin de Redvers in the north-east angle of the curtain wall of
the Castle. A 2 storey, rectangular building of stone rubble. Almost all the
walls survive with the southern gable end. Round arched window openings in all
4 facades, divided into 2 lights by a shaft of Purbeck marble. Arches have
chevron moulding. Slits on ground floor. In the centre of the east wall is an
original circular chimney shaft. (NMR).
Nos 1 to 11 (odd), the Castle, the signboard of the King,s Arms Hotel the
Constable's House and the Town Bridge, form a group with Nos 4 to 6 (even).
6A, 8 to 12 (even), 12A, 14 to 18 (even) and the King's Arms Hotel opposite.
Nos 10, 12 and 12A form part of a group on Millham Street and Nos 8 and 10
are buildings of local interest.
Listing NGR: SZ1605092706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings