This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.298 / 50°17'52"N
Longitude: -3.785 / 3°47'6"W
OS Eastings: 272959
OS Northings: 45753
OS Grid: SX729457
Mapcode National: GBR QG.3RCS
Mapcode Global: FRA 28Y7.Z2M
Entry Name: Coombe Royal Manor House (Residential Home)
Listing Date: 5 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99585
Location: Churchstow, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Churchstow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Churchstow St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 74 NW
Coombe Royal Manor House
Country House, now an old peoples' home. Probably late C17 or early C18, extended
and remodelled in circa 1870 with C20 alterations. Coursed and dressed slate with
Bathstone dressing - Slate roofs with stone coped gable ends. Axial stacks with brick
shafts - rear wing has gable end and truncated lateral stack.
Plan: T-shaped plan. The circa 1870 Jacobean style main front range is of 2-room
plan comprising a large hall on the right with a staircase in the rear right corner a
park at the front and on the left of the front range is the drawing room. The front
range is a Victorian cross-wing addition to an earlier circa late C17 or early C18
house which is not the rear service wing.
Exterior: 2 storey and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3 bay gabled east front on the right.
Stone cross-mullion-transon windows, the attic windows in gables, the gable on the
right is larger and has ball finial and with large stone porch with moulded round arch
linked rusticated pilasters and panelled inner doors. The bay to the left has gabled
projection at centre with large canted stone 2-storey bay window with bracketed corn-
ices and strapwork friezes. Similar single storey bay window on left hand gable end
with 3-light stone mullion-transon widow above. To left the rear wing (original house)
has a symmetrical 2:1:2 bay front facing south, centre gabled bay breaks forward;
small late C19 or C20 4-pair sashes in openings with rendered surrounds and central
round arch doorway with semi-window fanlight with radiating glazing bars and flush
panel door; 4 late C19 or C20 gabled dormers. At rear (north) of rear wing a projecting
truncated lateral stack to left of centre and C20 single storey flat roof extension.
Interior: In circa 1870 front range the hall has early C17 style rib moulded ceiling,
panelling and open-well staircase with twisted balusters. The drawing room has a
moulded plaster Rococo style ceiling , pedimented overdoor and chimney piece with
Rococo decoration. The circa late C17 or early or early C18 rear wing has been much
altered inside and has later partitions, an axial corridor down the centre and Victor-
ian joinery including the staircase in the central hall. The original roof structure
over the rear wing has been replaced.
Garden wall. Circa and to late C19. Slate with dressed slate arches; inside the arches
alternate courses of red brick stretchers and brick-on-edge. Large free-standing wall
with arcade of chamfered 4-centred arches of dressed slate and with them buttresses
with set-offs between the arches. At the left end there is a blind ninth bay.
Included for group value
(This building was included in the list for RURAL DISTRICT OF KINGSBRIDGE, dated
25 October 1951).
Listing NGR: SX7295945753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings