History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Millcombe

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3374 / 50°20'14"N

Longitude: -3.6832 / 3°40'59"W

OS Eastings: 280311

OS Northings: 49967

OS Grid: SX803499

Mapcode National: GBR QN.07FC

Mapcode Global: FRA 3854.NX1

Entry Name: North Millcombe

Listing Date: 25 March 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99825

Location: Blackawton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Blackawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Blackawton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Blackawton

Listing Text

BLACKAWTON MILLCOMBE
SX84NW North Millcombe
5/36
II

Farmhouse. Dated 1860. Local slate rubble. Scantle slate hipped roof with
deep eaves. Side stacks each with a pair of diagonally set brick shafts
with slate caps.
Plan: Rectangular, almost square double depth plan with 2 principal rooms
at the front and smaller service rooms at the back, the kitchen to the right
and dairy to the left. The central front entrance passage leads to a
straight staircase between the 2 back rooms. In the C20 the partition on
the left-hand side of the passage was removed and the dairy was partitioned
to create a pantry and office. The back doorway is central under the
stairs. There is a late C19 or early C20 verandah across the back of the
house.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-window south front complete
with original 16-para sashes in openings with cambered slate arches.
Central doorway with C19 flush panel door, top panels glazed and narrow
pilasters to the doorcase which has a lead-clad sloping canopy on shaped
console brackets. On the right-hand east side a small C20 casement. On the
west hand west wide a C19 2-light casement with glazing bars and small
datestone 1860 high up in wall.
Rear elevation: 3 original C19 sashes on the first floor, 16-pane to left
and right and narrow 8-pane sash lighting stairs at the centre. Ground
floor original 16-pane sash to left and original C19 2-light casement to
right of centre with glazing bars. C19 diagonally boarded doors to left of
centre and to right. C19 hipped roof door at centre with C19 casement.
Ground floor has a late C19 or C20 verandah across the back on steel posts.
Interior: some of the original joinery remains, such as paralled doors,
cupboards and internal window shutters, but the chimneypieces and staircase
balustrade on the landing have been replaced. The partition on the left-
hand side of the entrance passage has been removed.


Listing NGR: SX8031149967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.