This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3368 / 50°20'12"N
Longitude: -3.9493 / 3°56'57"W
OS Eastings: 261376
OS Northings: 50353
OS Grid: SX613503
Mapcode National: GBR Q5.PCBB
Mapcode Global: FRA 28M4.M8L
Plus Code: 9C2R83P2+M7
Entry Name: 26 and 27 (Primrose Cottage) and 28 Vicarage Hill
Listing Date: 19 July 1984
Last Amended: 26 January 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100386
Location: Holbeton, South Hams, Devon, PL8
Civil Parish: Holbeton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
No. 26 and 27 (Primrose Cottage) and No. 28
(Formerly listed as: VICARAGE HILL, HOLBETON, 26, 27 Primrose Cottage) (Formerly listed as: VICARAGE HILL, HOLBETON, 28)
Former row of three cottages, now two residences, circa. C17.
MATERIALS: the building is constructed of local rubble stone and has a roughcast render. The roof is thatched with half-hipped and gabled ends, and eyebrow eaves. No. 28 has a brick end stack. The rear extension appears to be of modern construction with a grey slate roof.
PLAN: the cottages are rectangular on plan and front the road. The C20 extension to the rear of No. 26 creates an L-plan.
EXTERIOR: a two storey building, stepping down in height with the gradient of the hill slope. It has a long five-window range, and the lower south end is set back slightly. There are C19/20 two- and three-light casements with timber lintels and glazing bars. There are three doorways with plank doors and decorative ironwork to No. 26. The doorway to No. 28 has a slate hood. There is a rendered chimney stack at the north gable end. The chimney stack at the south gable end is part-rendered, part-brick.
INTERIOR: not Inspected (2009)
HISTORY: the Estate Cottages are shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1887 as part of a more extensive row of buildings. The row extended to the north and a complete row of eight cottages is shown on the map of 1906. Nos. 26 to 28 appear to be the only remaining buildings in the row as the others have been replaced with new houses in the C20. It is likely that the cottages housed workers on the Flete House estate, under the Hele family, and later the Bulteels and Mildmays. Nos. 26 and 27 were renamed as Brinks Cottage in the late-C20 and No. 26 was extended to the rear. In the C21 Brinks Cottage was renamed Primrose Cottage.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION
Nos. 26 and 27 (Primrose Cottage) Vicarage Hill and No. 28 Vicarage Hill is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Although it has undergone extension, the building remains a characterful C17 row of estate cottages.
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850)
Other nearby listed buildings