This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3155 / 50°18'55"N
Longitude: -4.0377 / 4°2'15"W
OS Eastings: 255015
OS Northings: 48154
OS Grid: SX550481
Mapcode National: GBR Q2.4LP2
Mapcode Global: FRA 28F6.GS9
Plus Code: 9C2Q8X86+5W
Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100408
Location: Newton and Noss, South Hams, Devon, PL8
Civil Parish: Newton and Noss
Built-Up Area: Newton Ferrers
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 54 NE NEWTON AND NOSS COURT ROAD, NEWTON
Church of Holy Cross
Parish church. C15 west tower, the remainder has some C13/14 parts although
extensively rebuilt in 1885-6 to designs by Fellowes Prynne. Stone rubble with
freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Comprising nave, north and south aisles, chancel,
with vestry, south porch and west tower.
Mostly late C19 Perpendicular panel tracery windows. C19 early English style
three-light east window. South window of chancel C15/16 three cusped lights and
straight head with hood mould. C13 north window of chancel, tripartite lancets with
cusped heads and restored mullions. Large circa early C16 east window of south aisle
with four-centred arch and four roll moulded four-centred arch lights.
Tall C15 west tower, in three stages with weathered string courses and moulded
plinth. Buttresses set back from the corners, have set offs. Embattled parapet and
stumps of pinnacles. Three-light Perpendicular bell-opening. C19 three-light
Perpendicular style west window and west doorway.
Interior: Wide C15 three-bay north and south arcades with moulded four-centred arches
on monolithic granite piers with alternating shafts and hollows and with moulded caps
and bases. C13/14 Piscina with foiled tracery and C13/14 triple Sedilia, on south
wall of chancel. Squints from aisles to chancel and nave to north aisle. Two
centred arch chamfered doorway with pyramid stops in north wall of chancel to vestry.
Nave and chancel in one with C19 boarded wagon roof. Late C19 furnishings
including:- screens, choir stalls, pulpit, brass lectern and alabaster reredos. C20
Monuments: Tablet on south wall of chancel 1679 to Grace Clifford, daughter of
Barnaby Potter, Bishop of Carlisle, an inscription within bolection architrave with
cornice and pulvinated frieze.
Listing NGR: SX5502148157
Other nearby listed buildings