History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hakeford Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Rivers, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1019 / 51°6'6"N

Longitude: -3.9809 / 3°58'51"W

OS Eastings: 261400

OS Northings: 135490

OS Grid: SS614354

Mapcode National: GBR KV.BTK8

Mapcode Global: VH4MS.YK9M

Entry Name: Hakeford Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98627

Location: Stoke Rivers, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Stoke Rivers

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Stoke Rivers St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Goodleigh

Listing Text

STOKE RIVERS
SS 63 NW
4/144 Hake ford Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse now private dwelling. Possibly C16, remodelled in C17. White-washed
rubble and cob. Corrugated iron roof with half-hip to left end but much of original
thatch survives underneath. Rubble stack heightened in brick to right gable end
with slated weatherings. Brick ridge stack and tall lateral front rubble stack
heightened in brick. Possibly originally 3 cell plan with the lower end demolished
and the original cross-passage taken into the former hall heated by the lateral
stack. The through-passage is now located nearly centrally and runs through to the
rear stair turret. 1 1/2 storeys. 2 half dormers with plain bargeboards and C20
casements. C19 3-light casement to ground floor right side 6 panes per light with
stone hoodmould with label stops, the left stop initialled
1 C
m
1 C
to right side apparently dated 1651 but obscured through weathering. Concrete tiles
to porch lean-to roof - 1/2-glazed 2-panelled door. Recessed porch to left side with
1/2-glazed plank door. Catslide roof to rear outshut with brick stack to right side,
and dairy extends from stair turret to gable end to left.
Interior: C17 straight-headed doorway with chamfered and stopped surround to base of
winder staircase and two C17 doorways to head of stairs with chamfered surrounds and
slightly cambered heads, and plank door to right side. Part of C17 truss survives
over upper end. Inaccessibility of part of roof prevented close inspection, but
appeared to be smoke-blackening to heavy truss over former hall. C17 plasterwork
overmantel to chimney piece to right gable end above a chamfered and scroll-stopped
lintel. Plasterwork is of 2 symmetrical panels with foliated cornices and small
square emblematic centrepieces, the panels divided and flanked by stiles with
mouldings running out into foliated roundels at the lower corners of each panel.


Listing NGR: SS6140035490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.