History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoopers Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0284 / 51°1'42"N

Longitude: -4.1375 / 4°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 250203

OS Northings: 127626

OS Grid: SS502276

Mapcode National: GBR KM.HHNC

Mapcode Global: FRA 266D.KWX

Entry Name: Hoopers Cottage

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325320

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98762

Location: Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey, North Devon, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Horwood, Lovacott and Newton T

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Horwood St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Instow

Listing Text

HORWOOD HORWOOD
SS 52 NW
4/58 Hoopers Cottage (formerly
25.2.65 listed as "The Cottage")
GV II*

House, c.1600, extended c.1935 and again c.1972. Unrendered stone rubble with cob
to the upper storey. Thatch roof hipped at left end, gable end to right. Tall
front lateral hall stack of stone rubble with drip and tapered cap. C20 stone
rubble stack in C17 style with tapered cap set just off the ridge towards left end.
Interesting and unusual plan to the original range at right end which is of 2 rooms
with a lobby entry. The hall has a front lateral stack to right with integral
stair turret beside it to the left. To the lower left end of the front of the hall
is the entrance into a lobby, an axial screen creating a small second room to the
rear of the lobby, with entry to this room being via the hall. The earlier C20
extension added 2 rooms and a further staircase to the left lower end of the
original range with a further short bay added at the left end c.1972, all in a
similar style to the original range.
2 storeys. 5-window range, the left-hand front corner splayed. C20 range has 2-
and 3-light casements, 8 panes per light. The older core has a small C17 square
timber window with central glazing bar, and pintles surviving for internal shutter,
above a tiled canopy to chamfered Tudor-arched door surround with old framed and
ledged 3-plank door with old lock. To its right, the stair turret breaks forward
in line with the stack and has a small timber mullion window of 2 ogee-headed
lights behind single glass pane. Timber cavetto mullion window of 4 lights
(similar to the blocked window to the Church House opposite q.v) to right of stack
above a 3-light timber mullion window with diamond leaded panes.
Interior: rich survival of original features to the older range. The hall has an
axial hollow step stopped chamfered beam and bressumer to front wall above a cavetto
moulded fireplace lintel. 2 adjoining low oblong recesses in the west wall with
timber cupboard door surrounds are thought to be possibly bible cupboards. 3
Tudor-arched door surrounds giving access to stair turret, with old plank door, to
lobby and small room off the hall, the latter now blocked off. Plank and muntin
screen facing the lobby entrance, 5 panels wide with chamfered muntins and top
rail. The lobby retains its flagstone floor. The winder stair retains its
original wooden treads with cased in original door surround with pintles to
principal chamber at its head. Partition with wide timber studs between the 2
chambers, a remarkable survival being the double garderobe in a small integral
projection to the rear, with timber 2-seater formerly with access from both
chambers by doorways to each side of the partition, that to left with old ledged
plank door with its original hinges, that to right is now blocked off. Principal
chamber is heated by hall stack, but lintel is C20 replacement. The roof structure
shows that the left end of the C17 range was also originally hipped, with good
quality carpentry of 2 trusses with short curved feet, carrying 2 tiers of threaded
purlins and ridge purlin with cranked collars morticed and tenoned into the soffits
of the blades The truss over the dividing wall between the 2 chambers is closed
to collar height. There is no sign of smoke blackening in the roof. In spite of
the later additions this is a most important single phase house which is otherwise
remarkably intact with its very complete internal features. Its unusual plan is of
exceptional interest.


Listing NGR: SS5020127625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.