This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0543 / 51°3'15"N
Longitude: -4.178 / 4°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 247450
OS Northings: 130582
OS Grid: SS474305
Mapcode National: GBR KK.FZ9K
Mapcode Global: FRA 264B.G4Q
Plus Code: 9C3Q3R3C+PR
Entry Name: Little Hill (North and South Side) Including Front Garden Wall
Listing Date: 29 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98775
Location: Instow, North Devon, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Instow
Built-Up Area: Instow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Instow St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
INSTOW ANSTEY WAY (east side), Instow
SS 43 SE
1/72 Little Hill (north and south
side) including front garden wall
Semi-detached pair of villas. Appear to be circa 1860, but apparently is dated 1885.
Brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, hipped to front wings at each end with
boxed eaves and lions head guttering. Ridge stacks.
Symmetrical mirror plan, each villa with 3 principal rooms and stair hall forming
L-shape to front, principal entrances to each side and service rooms and stable
block to rear grouped around central rear courtyards.
2 storeys. Brick platband. West front, 4-window range, each end bay breaking
forward. All fenestration intact with 4 paned sashes with margin glazing bars and
horizontal sliding louvred timber shutters. 2 centre bays have sashes on each
floor, twin sashes to each wing with central colonnete with crocket capitals over
canted bay window with ashlar blocking course ornamented with large Tudor Rose
decoration. North and south entrance fronts each have a single bay of sashes on
each floor to west of twin sashes with central colonnette with crocket capitals
over canted bays with similarly ornamented blocking course continuing eastwards to
form distyle portico with double crocket capitals. 4 panelled door with 2-paned
overlight. Short gable-ended right-angled projection to east contains integral
stable block with loft over.
Interiors: C19 joinery entirely intact. Richly moulded plasterwork cornices to
principal rooms. Impressive dog-leg staircases to each side with sugar barley
balusters and moulded handrails ramped up to larger newels with acorn finials.
Front garden wall of squat stone balusters with single low central brick pier and
L-shaped triple cluster of similar piers flanking each curved end section.
Listing NGR: SS4745030582
Other nearby listed buildings