This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0409 / 51°2'27"N
Longitude: -4.1727 / 4°10'21"W
OS Eastings: 247778
OS Northings: 129084
OS Grid: SS477290
Mapcode National: GBR KL.GLRS
Mapcode Global: FRA 264C.J76
Entry Name: Tapeley Park House
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98835
Location: Westleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX39
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Westleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Westleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WESTLEIGH TAPELEY PARK
SS 42 NE
Tapeley Park House
Country house. C18 origins, entirely remodelled in the 1880's and again 1898 -
1916 by John Belcher. Brick with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof with brick
stacks with moulded ashlar caps largely concealed by parapet.
Overall 4-sided rear courtyard plan with C20 courtyard infilling. The principal
symmetrical garden (south) front contains wide entrance hall with staircase to rear,
with single room to each side. Adjoining at right-hand end is the east wing
orientated north/south and containing dining room with library over, with service
rooms to rear at the north end. The west side contains the principal ground floor
room with further service rooms enclosing the courtyard on the north side.
South facade: 3 storeys. 7 bays, symmetrical, with giant stone pilasters, the
lower part of which are rusticated, the central pilasters with composite capitals.
Entablature with pediment that breaks forward over 3 central bays. In the pediment
there is a cartouche and blind panels to parapet. String course above ground
floor. Large ashlar portico with entablature which breaks forward slightly over 2
pairs of Tuscan columns in antis and corner piers. Wreaths with ribbons in the
frieze and balustrade above. Ground floor windows have keystones. First 2 storeys
all 12-paned sashes with cambered rubbed brick arches. Second floor windows are
small square 6 paned sashes.
Lower 2 storey 2 bay wing set back slightly with stone entablature with dentilled
cornice. 2 first floor 12-paned sashes in moulded stone architraves, over large
stone square bay window with tripartite sashes and balustrade above.
West side: 1:1:1:4 bays. Flat pilasters and entablature with parapet urns. Second
bay from left breaks forward with ground floor Venetian window and tripartite
window above. Stone colonnade of paired Tuscan columns to right.
East side: 3:4 bays, left-hand bays project. First floor windows have moulded
architraves, the left-hand window is a niche. Groundfloor is colonnaded with
pairs of fluted columns. Right-hand windows to first floor have broken pediments
containing shields. 4 dormers above with semi-circular pediments. Memorial stone
at right end to John Belcher "who restored and adorned the House of the Cleveland
1898 - 1916."
Interior: principally late C19 rich decorative scheme intact including 6-panelled
doors and doorcases, marble chimneypieces including massive chimneypiece to
principal room in west wing with giant Ionic pilasters, dog-leg staircase with
moulded handrail supported on alternating turned and irontwist balusters and
plasterwork ceilings in late C17 and C18 styles to the principal ground floor rooms
and bedrooms. The upper storey retains some C18 3-panelled doors and dog-leg
staircase with moulded handrail, turned balusters and newels with acorn finials.
In spite of the later remodellings, the house retains its basic C18 form.
Listing NGR: SS4777829084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings