This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9093 / 50°54'33"N
Longitude: -3.7717 / 3°46'18"W
OS Eastings: 275532
OS Northings: 113694
OS Grid: SS755136
Mapcode National: GBR L4.R08X
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZP.Y44
Entry Name: Affeton Castle
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97406
Location: East Worlington, North Devon, Devon, EX17
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Worlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Worlington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SE
Gatehouse to former manor house, the latter now demolished except for a range of
outbuildings (q.v). C15, sacked 3 times during the Civil War, restored 1868 and
later in C19, and some C20 work. Coursed and squared local rubble, freestone
dressings; flat lead-sheeting roof; tall renewed stone stacks.
Plan: square on plan with an archway through, now blocked; restored in Neo-medieval
Exterior: principal entrance front to west, 2 storeys, 2 windows, 2-light stone-
mullioned casements, each light with a cinque-foiled head, one window on the left of
the first floor with a transom. Depressed arch head to a central archway, moulded
surround, now blocked with small narrow C19 doorway, plank door, ornamental strap
hinges, sidelights. All opening with labels, carved stops. Three 2-stage
buttresses; embattled parapet. Right return with a shallow garderobe turret 2-
storeyed, pent stone roof. Elevation to the east with further mullioned windows; 3-
storeyed stair-turret, 4 lancets and a quatrefoil window, on ground floor an
elaborate narrow door opening with a pointed-arch head moulded in 2 orders, fleurons
to spandrels, imposts, label with large floral stops, C19 plank door with ornamental
hinges. Addition of 1868 to the north, formerly a coach-house, now incorporated as
a dwelling, on main entrance front 9- and 16-pane sash windows, front-facing gable
with achievement and bellcote, bell missing.
Interior of the gatehouse completely refitted during the C19 restoration; stone newel
staircase to the stair-turret, and a moulded door surround off this staircase, at
first floor level, appear to be the only early features remaining; good C19 work
including a panelled room with Jacobethan fireplace.
Roof: roof structure not inspected.
Source: Pevsner N., The Buildings of England, North Devon, 1952).
Listing NGR: SS7553213694
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings