This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0183 / 51°1'5"N
Longitude: -3.7787 / 3°46'43"W
OS Eastings: 275332
OS Northings: 125826
OS Grid: SS753258
Mapcode National: GBR L3.J4K7
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZF.7P9
Entry Name: Garliford
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97531
Location: Bishop's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Bishop's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Nympton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 NE BISHOP'S NYMPTON
2/8 Garliford (formerly listed as
20.2.67 Garliford Farmhouse)
House. C17 or earlier origins, probably remodelled 1704 (date carved on porch), C20
renovations. Cob on stone rubble footings, the cob plastered, the stone rubble
whitened; slate roof (formerly thatched) with C19 crested ridge tiles; end stacks and
projecting rear lateral stack, all with brick shafts, the end stacks with hand made
Plan: L plan. A south-facing main range, 3 rooms wide with a 2-storey porch to left
of centre leading into a lobby which divides at the rear between the stair and a
passage. Lower end former kitchen to the left, small hall to the right, heated by
the rear lateral stack, larger parlour at the extreme right. A rear right wing, at
right angles to the parlour, is unheated, with a flight of straight stairs parallel
to the rear wall of the parlour which has a blocked door on the rear wall. A rear
left dairy outshut has been extended across the rear centre of the main range. The
overall plan suggests the mid C17 but the size of the parlour and the plasterwork
could be later, possibly a 1704 refurbishing and extension of a C17 house.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:1:2 window front with regular fenestration, the
2-storey gabled porch in the first bay from the left. The outer doorway of the porch
has an ovolo-moulded timber lintel with the date 1704 scratched on it, 2-light C19
casement window with glaziing bars above. The other windows are probably early C19
or C20 copies of early C19 2-light high transomed casements with small panes. The
rear elevation has one 2-light C18 casement with square leaded panes and a similar
window concealed by the outshut roof (information from owner).
Interior: Fine C17 panelled studded inner door to the porch, a similar door closes
the passage to the rear of the lobby and a third, on the rear wall of the hall, gives
access to the rear right wing. The house has been substantially modernised inside -
the wall between the parlour and hall has been removed and all the fireplace lintels
are C20. The hall has re-used C17 panelling on the wall adjacent to the entrance,
returning on the inner front wall and a very plain, probably replaced crossbeam. The
parlour retains a plaster cornice and central circular motif on the ceiling, probably
of 1704. The lower end (left hand) room has a plain crossbeam; the fireplace has a
large bread oven and a cream oven on the rear wall has a separate flue into the left
end stack. The rear left dairy retains slate-topped benches. The handrail of the
straight stair behind the parlour may be C17.
First floor and roofspace not inspected, roof timbers said to be modern. During re-
roofing work 5 cannon balls were found embedded in the cob; - it seems likely that
they were placed there during building work.
Christopher Tull notes that the Molford family built the present house in the C17 and
lived there until 1692 when the Molford heir died (recorded on a tablet in South
Tull, Christopher S., BishopsteiRnton Church and People (1986), p. 32.
Listing NGR: SS7533225826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings