History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Farmhouse and Outbuildings Adjoining at the North

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Nympton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9958 / 50°59'44"N

Longitude: -3.7822 / 3°46'55"W

OS Eastings: 275031

OS Northings: 123335

OS Grid: SS750233

Mapcode National: GBR L3.KHNQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZH.0C5

Entry Name: Park Farmhouse and Outbuildings Adjoining at the North

Listing Date: 18 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97548

Location: Bishop's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Bishop's Nympton

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Nympton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Nympton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bishops Nympton

Listing Text

SS 72 SE BISHOP'S NYMPTON

6/23 Park Farmhouse and outbuildings
- adjoining at the north

II


Farmhouse. 1876 (datestone) for William Keates, the late C19 owner of the Bishop's
Nympton estate. Stone rubble, rendered on the front elevation, with Bathstone
dressings to the front and red brick dressings to the rear; slate roof, gabled at
ends, with crested ridge tiles; end stacks with yellow brick shafts and ornamental
brick detail; 2 stone rubble outbuildings with slate roofs. Tudor style, old-
fashioned for the date but unusually elaborate for a late C19 estate farmhouse.
Plan: Double depth plan, 2 rooms wide with a central 2 storey porch. There is a
small service yard at the rear formed by 2 contemporary outbuildings and a curved
wall.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front, the centre bay a large, gabled, 2-
storey porch with a chamfered Bathstone outer doorway with pyramid stops and a
hoodmould and a C19 panelled inner front door, the top panels glazed, with an
overlight. A 3-light stone mullioned window to the first floor of the porch rises in
the centre to form a frame for the datestone, crest, initials and motto of William
Keates. The first floor of the porch is decorated with yellow brickwork, a brick
corbel table, yellow brick corner pilasters and ornamental brick banding in the
gable. 4-light mullioned stone windows to ground floor left and right with stone
drip ledges; 3-light stone mullioned first floor windows. The left return has a 1-
light stone-framed window. The 3-bay rear elevation has less grand detail, the
windows with chamfered red brick jambs and segmental arched lintels with keystones
and 1876 timber casement windows. A rear door with a porch leads into the service
yard which is formed by 2 outbuildings, one with a red brick stack, and a section of
curved wall.
Interior: Not inspected.
A very complete late C19 estate farmhouse of an unusually elaborate design.


Listing NGR: SS7503123335

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.