This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9949 / 50°59'41"N
Longitude: -3.8675 / 3°52'3"W
OS Eastings: 269040
OS Northings: 123387
OS Grid: SS690233
Mapcode National: GBR L0.KL19
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SH.33W
Plus Code: 9C2RX4VJ+XX
Entry Name: Nymet St George House
Listing Date: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97597
Location: George Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: George Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Molton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: House
SS 62 SE GEORGE NYMPTON
4/67 Nymet St George House
Former rectory. 1781 (information from owner), extended and remodelled in 1868 by
Edward Ashworth of Exeter (D.R.O.) with some minor alterations by the present owner
over the last 40 years. Colourwashed rendered stone; tiled roof of 1868 to main
range, gabled at ends; 2 axial stacks with brick shafts to main range, axial stack
with brick shaft to the kitchen wing.
Plan: Overall U plan, 2 parallel ranges, one to the north and one to the south,
linked by an east block. C18 features survive in the south range, which has the main
entrance in the east end and the principal rooms facing south with a passage along
the north side leading to the stair. The east block may also be C18 as there are no
service rooms in the south range, if it were the kitchen wing the stack has been
dismantled in subsequennt alterations. In 1850 the house was described as "a good
thatched residence, in the Elizabethan style", (White's Devon) suggesting that it may
have undergone some remodelling in the 1830s or 1840s. In 1868 it was refashioned
and extended (information from owner) with a service wing, including a C19 kitchen
added to the north forming the present U plan, with a narrow courtyard between the
wings. The roof was probably raised at this date, the thatch replaced with tiles,
and the exterior Gothicised. The east block was in use partly as a pantry in the
1940s and has subsequently been remodelled to provide a second entrance. Other C20
alterations include refashioning the porch at the east end of the south range and the
addition of an open-fronted garden room, re-using classical columns (probably early
C19), adjoining the west end of the south range. An interesting feature of the plan
is the position of the Rector's study, at the east end of the south range but
separated from the other principal rooms by an internal door in the passage.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetical 3 bay south front (garden front) with 3 gables to
the front with curly bargeboards; cornice at first floor level; slight recess in the
centre with pilasters flanking a late C18/early C19 tripartite sash. Left and right
sashes probably late C18; 12-pane with margin glazing; 3 first floor late C18/early
C19 3 over 6-pane sashes. The east elevation consists of the central courtyard and
the east ends of the north and south ranges. Fenestration of mostly early C19 timber
sashes with some later sashes and casements. The porch at the end of the south range
has been remodelled but preserves a pretty late C18/early C19 roundel. A late C20
half-glazed door in a C19 style has been added to the east block.
Interior: The south range preserves some late C18 panelled doors and a stick baluster
stair with a ramped mahogany handrail. There is a re-sited C18 chimney-piece in the
dining room (west end of south range), flanked by recesses. The C19 kitchen is
relatively unaltered with a good slate floor.
An attractive, informal house.
Listing NGR: SS6904023387
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings