History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Bittadon, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1537 / 51°9'13"N

Longitude: -4.0816 / 4°4'53"W

OS Eastings: 254515

OS Northings: 141439

OS Grid: SS545414

Mapcode National: GBR KP.7RT9

Mapcode Global: VH4MK.68KF

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98268

Location: Bittadon, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Bittadon

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bittadon St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bittadon

Listing Text

SS 54 SW BITTADON BITTADON

4/10 Church of St Peter
-
25.2.65

- II

Parish church, entirely rebuilt in 1883. Dressed stone roughly brought to course in
part, rubble stone elsewhere with slate roof under continuous ridge to nave and
chancel. Low tower at west end with pyramidal slate roof. 3 gabled projections
roofed in slate on south side forming vestry, transept and porch to left with plain
round-arched doorway with slate sundial by John Berry above dated 1764. Chamfered
and stopped architrave to south door. C19 fenestration throughout. 2-light 2-
centred arch east window with intersecting tracery. South windows to transept and
vestry 3- and 2-lights respectively, the transept windows with hoodmould. Two 2-
light windows on north side and 3-light west window with trefoil motif in the
spandrels and hoodmould.
Plain interior with plastered walls, nave and chancel in one with late C19 arch-
braced roof and with late C19 furnishings. C13 font of square bowl undecorated on
cluster of 6 columns with lipped capitals on square base. Painted wooden font cover
with foliated design stands beside. Wall monument in marble on north wall to Edward
Pointz dated 1691. Trophies in broken pediment on which weeping angels recline over
central oval medallion surmounted by 3 cherubs heads. Corinthian colonnettes
flanked by cherubs carrying skulls. Smaller oval medallion below has scrolls and
cherubs heads to each side and skull below. Marble wall monument, north wall
further east to Henry Ackland died 1675. Corinthian colonnettes each side of
plaque. Broken pediment with plain shield between. Skull below. 2 small Cl7
marble wall plaques face each other on south transeptal walls as Chichester family
memorials.


Listing NGR: SS5451541439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.