This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9337 / 50°56'1"N
Longitude: -3.1948 / 3°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 316135
OS Northings: 115597
OS Grid: ST161155
Mapcode National: GBR LX.PGFP
Mapcode Global: FRA 466M.TDC
Plus Code: 9C2RWRM4+F3
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95677
Location: Clayhidon, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Clayhidon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clayhidon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 NE CLAYHIDON CLAYHIDON
2/21 Parish Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Fabric of nave and chancel probably late C13. South aisle and west
tower C15. Coursed rubble chert and limestone; roughcast west tower; limestone and
Ham Hill stone dressings; slate roof, with crested ridge tiles to nave only.
Plan: west tower, nave, south aisle and south porch, chancel.
Exterior: west tower: 3 stages, moulded stringcourse and plinth, battlemented with
corner pinnacles (some truncated), south-east square-section stair turret with
separate south porch with gable-ended roof. 2-light belfry openings; 3-light west
window, Perpendicular; west doorway with chamfered arch, the door itself possibly
contemporary, albeit heavily restored.
South side: 5 bays including porch; all 3-light Perpendicular windows, largely
replaced externally by Ham Hill stone in the C19. Porch, diagonal buttresses,
moulded outer arch with sundial in gable wall, dated 1782. Inner doorway, C15,
composite moulded arch, square-headed above with foliated spandrels. Stair turret
to rood loft between bays 4 and 5.
Chancel: blocked priest's door; 2- and 4-light windows, Perpendicular, heavily
North side: tall square-headed window, probably early C16, lighting screen and
pulpit; two 3-light Perpendicular C19 windows; concave moulded stone wall plate.
Interior: Chancel arch, double chamfered and possibly late C13. Also of this date
the font, Ham Hill stone, circular bowl, moulded with fleurons to its base, with an
octagonal stem, moulded plinth with separate bases for detached shafts which have
now disappeared. A tomb recess with half an effigy of a priest (presumably reset in
the 1840's) is also late C13 and possibly represents one of the 2 members of the Hydon
family who provided the first incumbents. C13 encaustic tiles now set under alter
table. South arcade of 5 bays, wavey moulding to piers, capitals to principal
shafts only; tower arch with concave moulding; wagon roof to nave and chancel, that
to the nave unceiled in the 1960's, with ribs, bosses and wall plate all of the C15.
Door to rood loft (now destroyed) early C16. Piscina and credence table under
pointed arch looks C15. Some of the inner tracery and window arches look original
Mid-C18 panelled west gallery.
A complete set of 1840s furnishings (benches, stalls, sanctuary rails, commandment
boards, sanctuary floor tiling and patterned glass to chancel and coloured glass to
west window, forms an important group.
References: Pevsner, S.D; Guidebook by Ian Wakeling.
Listing NGR: ST1613415597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings