History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Widnes, Halton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3625 / 53°21'44"N

Longitude: -2.7611 / 2°45'39"W

OS Eastings: 349448

OS Northings: 385334

OS Grid: SJ494853

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y5K.1C

Mapcode Global: WH87J.KRF4

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56058

Location: Halton, WA8

County: Halton

Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside

Built-Up Area: Widnes

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ditton St Michael with St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Widnes

Listing Text

SJ 48 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES ST MICHAEL'S ROAD,
Ditton

1/97 Church of St.Michael

II*

Catholic Church 1876-9, by Henry Clutton, in red sandstone ashlar with
slate roof. Cruciform with 8 bay arcade which passes the short
transepts and takes in the chancel. At the west end of the nave there
is an impressive tower with steep saddleback roof. The main entrance,
in the tower, is a pair of large board filled 3 panel doors in a
Gothic opening with treble shaft treatment, this idea is extended
upwards to the 3 bell-stage lancets which are framed by shafts with
rings. The gables of the chancel and transepts have rose windows with
stained glass, elsewhere windows are large lancets. Steep pitched
roof with crested ridge tiles surrounded by eaves parapet in the form
of a continuous open arcade.
Interior: Twin coupled shafts with early Gothic style crocket caps
run throughout the length of the building and support Gothic aisle
arches and a hardwood boarded barrel vaulted ceiling which is common
to the chancel and nave. The north transept has the organ and the
south confessionals. The chancel has yellow sandstone walls and
marble floors, whereas the nave has plastered walls.
Built for a Jesuit community expelled from Germany in 1872.


Listing NGR: SJ4944885334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.