History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Boughton under Blean, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2893 / 51°17'21"N

Longitude: 0.9355 / 0°56'7"E

OS Eastings: 604784

OS Northings: 158554

OS Grid: TR047585

Mapcode National: GBR SWK.3BG

Mapcode Global: VHKJX.5VFH

Plus Code: 9F327WQP+P6

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176679

Location: Boughton under Blean, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Boughton under Blean

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(South side)

Church of St. Peter
4/75 and St. Paul

Parish Church. C13 with C14 chapel, C15 aisles and tower. Restored 1871
by St. Aubyn (£2000). Flint and rubble with plain tiled roofs. Chancel
with north and south chapels, south transept, nave with aisles, western tower
and north porch. Three stage western tower with plinth, string courses,
cornice and battlements, 3 times offset diagonal buttresses and south east
stair turret, square rising to obtagonal upper stages. Triple hollow moulded
west doorway with drip mould, and 3 light Perpendicular traceried west window.
South aisle and south transept with C15 Perpendicular fenestration, with
large 5 light south window, and single C13 lancet in east walls of transept,
with 2 large offset diagonal buttresses. South chapel with paired ogee-headed
cusped lights. Chancel with lancet windows, and triple lancet east window.
North chapel with lancet windows. North aisle with plinth, string course
and parapet, small projecting rood vice, Perpendicular tracery, and north
porch, with hollowed chamfered north doorway, attached shafts and moulded
surround with drip mould. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround
with octagonal moulded responds. The tower has lower floor level than the nave,
cut into the nave arcades and exposes the original quoins of the nave west
wall. Nave arcade of 3½ bays to north and 2½ bays to south, with solid west
bay. Octagonal piers (but 1 round pier in north arcade) with double chamfered
arches. Double hollow chamfered C14 arch on corbels to south transept. Roof
of 5 crown posts, the east and west posts raised. South and north aisles with
lean-to roofs, South transept with 1 chamfered arch to south aisle, double
hollow chamfered arch to south chapel. Crown post roof on knee braces. Some
partial survival of a roll moulded string course. Chancel arch with drip and
keeled roll mould on carved head corbels. Chancel with 2 bay arcade to south
chapel, with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier and responds. Triple
lancet east window with slender attached shafts and heavy moulded string
course. The lancet on south wall brought down to ground level to incorporate
sedilia. Two bay double chamfered arcade to north chapel with heavily moulded
and undercut pier. Trussed roof. North chapel with heavy string course,
double chamfered arch to north aisle and roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C15
screen from north aisle to north chapel, with rood stair. Three bays with
cusped tracery. Five bay C16 chancel screen with panelled cusped base. Four
traceried lights to each bay with crenellated and sloping transoms, with
attached shafts. Renewed top beam. The carving and enrichment has
Renaissance details. Three bay screen to south chapel with moulded mullions,
cusped tracery and four centred arched heads. Two tier sedilia in chancel with
cusped ogee headed piscina, with attached shafts (for missing canopy?).
Aumbreys to left and right on east wall. South chapel with sedile and reset
brattished cornice, and trefoil-headed piscina. C14 cusped ogee wall niche
with attached colonnettes running into the string course. Holy water stoups
in south aisle, and with four centred arched head, incised spandrels and
moulded combo in north aisle. Monuments: Chancel: sedilia backed with
incised heraldic achievements. South chapel: John Petit, d.1630. Black wall
plaque with white surround, moulded head and scrolled achievement on pilasters
with obelisk finials, the panel bears small relief figures of man and wife
opposite each other with a prayer desk. Winged cherub base. George Farewell,
d.1741. Marble plaque wrapped around central pier of chancel arcade. Moulded
base and top with shield over. South aisle: Anne Alleyn, d.1713. Black wall
plaque with bolection moulded surround, cornice and scrolled achievement.
North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1617. Epiphanius Evesham, signed. Knight
and lady recumbent on sarcophagus, with rear screen and inscription part in
Latin (for a Catholic family) with carved symbols of death, cherubs heads,
arms and trophies, scrolled semi-pediment on pilasters. Two alabaster panels
on the side of the tomb ,chest, showing 7 sons and 6 daughters of varying ages,
grieving and expressing their emotion, surrounded by their favourite objects
and pets (see also similar panels at Lynsted). John Hawkins, white wall
plaque set up by grandson Thomas Hawkins in 1749 to commemorate the former's
preservation of the family fortunes through the Interregnum. Dame Mary
Knatchbull, d.1850. C13 style coffin slab, incised with cross and inscription,
with railed enclosure (incorporating earlier monuments). Tower: Henry Pettit,
d.1807; black wall plaque with white marble surround and pilasters with incised
flowers in vases. 'Scrolled apron. Sir John Routh. Late C17 white marble wall
plaque. Egg and tongue and bolection moulded surround with heavy bracketed
base and scrolled and garlanded sides. Ionic attached columns, cornice and
frieze, scrolled pediment and achievement. Brasses South transept: John Bett,
d.1508. 15½" figures of John and Joan, poorly engraved, with English
inscription. Elizabeth Driland, d.1591. 19½" well engraved figures of man
and wife with 4 mourning daughters and (missing) sons, and partially lost coats
of arms. Latin inscriptions to John Collins (d.1450) and Sir? Petit of
Colkins, d.1596. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1587, aged 101. Armoured
figure 34" long, with fulsome inscription. Small wall plaque nearby to Elionor
Sea, his wife, d.1553. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, 150-151)

Listing NGR: TR0592857475

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.