This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6999 / 50°41'59"N
Longitude: -3.7376 / 3°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 277384
OS Northings: 90353
OS Grid: SX773903
Mapcode National: GBR QH.PCHR
Mapcode Global: FRA 3717.CP6
Entry Name: Wallon House Including Garden Walls Adjoining to South-West
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94867
Location: Drewsteignton, West Devon, Devon, EX6
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Drewsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Drewsteignton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 79 SE DREWSTEIGNTON
6/71 Wallon House including garden
walls adjoining to south-west
House, former farmhouse. C16 with C17 improvements, refurbished and rearranged in
late C18 - early C19, modernised circa 1900. Plastered cob on stone rubble
footings, parts are stone rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick;
slate roof over thatch.
Plan and development: L-shaped building. The main block faces south-east and is
built down the hillslope. It has a 4-room-and-through-passage plan. Uphill at the
left (south-west) end is an unheated inner room, formerly a dairy. The hall has an
axial stack backing onto the passage. The 2 service end rooms are separated by an
axial stack. Late C19 or C20 rear block projecting at right angles to rear of left
end. The main house has a long and complex structural history. It was originally
built in the early or mid C16 as an open hall house probably heated by an open
hearth fire. The inner room chamber was erected in the mid or late C16 and it
jetties into the upper end of the hall. The hall fireplace and upper floor were
inserted in the early C17. The whole house was raised and reroofed in the late C17
- early C18. The service end was rearranged in the late C18 - early C19 at which
time the main entrance was moved to the right end room. Now 2 storeys throughout.
Exterior: irregular 5-window front of mostly late C19 and C20 glazing bars, most
with glazing bars. The 3-light casement over the passage front doorway has an
unusual folding casement. The window to right of the same doorway has been replaced
by a C20 french window. The 12-pane sash above has fat glazing bars and may be C18.
To right of it is a late C18 - early C19 16-pane sash. The passage front doorway is
left of centre and contains a 4-panel door. The right end doorway contains a 6-
panel door behind an early C20 porch with a first floor room over. Roof is hipped
Interior: the inner room and hall contain the oldest features. The oak plank-and-
muntin screen has chamfered muntins with step stops high enough to accommodate a
bench below. The planks have been removed. The hall fireplace is granite ashlar
with an oak lintel which is ogee-moulded with the same stops. One early roof truss
remains boxed into the partition between hall and inner room chambers. The rest is
made up of late C17-early C18. A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars.
Most of the joinery detail is C19 and C20 but there are a couple of possibly C18
fielded panel doors.
The front garden is enclosed by a C19 low stone rubble wall. The right-hand part
dates from is circa 1900 and it includes machine brick piers and ornate cast iron
Listing NGR: SX7738490353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings