History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collacombe Manor

A Grade I Listed Building in Lamerton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5667 / 50°34'0"N

Longitude: -4.217 / 4°13'1"W

OS Eastings: 243086

OS Northings: 76451

OS Grid: SX430764

Mapcode National: GBR NS.FNN4

Mapcode Global: FRA 271K.QY6

Entry Name: Collacombe Manor

Listing Date: 14 June 1952

Last Amended: 23 January 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 93913

Location: Lamerton, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lamerton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Lamerton

Listing Text

LAMERTON
SX 47 NW
2/17 Collacombe Manor
- (formerly listed as Collacombe
14.6.52 Barton)

GV I

Manor house. Built in 4 main phases, first rectangular block, probably with separate
chapel to north east of unknown pre-Reformation date, early C16 chapel attached to
main range, alterations of later C16 dated 1574 on hall fireplace, including porch
architrave, plasterwork, gateway to forecourt (qv) and hall chamber fireplace, C17
rear block probably used as brewhouse, with successive later alterations. Granite
rubble with granite dressings, hipped slate roofs, ridge stacks, in brick with bell
between stack shafts over lower end to kitchen, rear lateral hall stack and gable
stack to left.
Originally 3 room and through passage plan of first phase, separate chapel probably
attached to main building in C16, with late C16 alterations to hall. C17 separate
brewhouse, connected to main house probably C19 by service range to rear, which also
enclosed rear passage door. Passage remains in situ, with hall and inner room, and
parlour formed in ground floor of former chapel, lower end has 2 rooms. Overall L-
plan formed by front chapel wing.
2 storeys, a symmetrical 5-window range; 2 windows to lower end right, 2-storey porch
to right of centre, hall window to left of centre and one window at higher end left.
Chapel wing projects at extreme left end. Service end to right has two 4-light
granite mullioned windows at ground and first floor with 2-centred arched heads to
lights set in recessed hollow-chamfered surrounds with C20 leaded lights, some
replaced mullions. Central 2-storey porch has similar arched door opening, roll-
moulded with Doric columns, pediment and shield of arms in tympanum, lion mask corbel
supporting oriel above with 3 similar inner opening with C20 door with strap hinges.
To left, large 18-light window to hall with original glazing, moulded central
mullion, flat heads to lights except 2-centred arched heads to upper lights,
hexagonal leaded glazing; 4-light window at ground and first floor left as to right
of porch. Inner side of wing to left has 2 similar 4-light windows at ground and
first floor with some replaced mullions; front of wing has 2-light chamfered granite
mullioned window with C20 leaded lights at ground floor left, door opening with
granite lintel, stonework rebuilt at ground floor to right, first floor off-centre
small single granite light, hollow-chamfered with ogee head. Right return has wall
rebuilt, C19 2-light casement at first floor right, 4 panes each light. Left return
built into slope, has small single light at ground level below C20 corbelled wooden
oriel, 3-light to front and single light to sides; to left, reset 2-light granite
mullioned window; half-gable end of main range set back to left ( to left of
garderobe and stair in connecting block between main range and chapel) with
buttressed stack and ground floor C20 open-fronted addition of 3 bays with rubble
piers. Rear has all C19 and C20 fenestration; 2 bays to right have ground floor C20
2-light casement inserted in segmental-headed former door opening, large segmental-
headed 3-light casement with brick dressings, first floor has two 16-pane sashes with
gauged brick segmental heads in exposed boxes, of different sizes. Weathered
external hall stack to left with C19 addition for stair at base with 4-pane light; 2
bays to left with 20-pane segmental-headed sashes at first floor, ground floor has
C19 service lean-to with 2 C20 2-light casements, central half-glazed door and door
to outer side. 2 end bays to left have door with C20 concrete external stair and
former segmental-headed window opening to right, straight joint with wall rebuilt to
left, reset 2-light granite window and blocked C19 segmental-headed window opening at
first floor. Attached to rear lean-to, 2-storey former brewhouse with hipped slate
roof, outer elevation has wide door opening, lean-to, C20 3-light casement at ground
floor right, 3 timber lintels remaining at first floor and 3-pane light; right return
has 3-light C20 casement at first floor, left return has lean-to and similar first
floor casement, rear has door, 4-pane light with timber lintel, 2 C20 2-light
casements at first floor, one with cambered timber lintel, wall stopped forward to
left and door to end.
Interior passage has hall screen to left, horizontal boarding with screen concealed,
visible in cupboard under stair to front; early rere-arch remaining on front wall (no
external evidence) indicating re-facing of earlier hall, with straight stair
inserted. Plasterwork ceiling has coving, frieze, ribs and pendants, large plaster
overmantel to rear fireplace, date 1574, with shield, fleuron frieze and pediment; to
south, 3-light upper window to hall chamber with 2-centred arches, shell mouldings in
tympana, plain pilasters between; to east, internal jetty, formerly extending to rear
of building, with 4 grotesque figures and plasterwork royal arms of Queen Elizabeth
above; gallery planted on former structure, doorway to north east leading to
connecting block, containing garderobe and winder stair about 2 newels with stops,
later C17 turned balusters. Ground floor front room in wing has plaster overmantel
removed from hall chamber, with caryatids and central shield of arms over fireplace
with segmental granite head, roll-moulded, with carved spandrels, 2 heavy cross-beams
and C20 plasterwork shell niches to front wall. Room to rear has granite fireplace
with segmental head, roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered, partition wall to north. To
right. To right of passage, fireplace with wide flat-headed granite lintel, oven
left and right with curved backs with curved backs showing in end room to right, 2
beams on granite corbels over fireplace, door with 2-centred arched head, roll-
moulded, to passage; end room formerly dairy. At first floor, door to hall chamber
has moulded frame, fireplace with granite Doric columns, corbels and overmantel,
ceiling probably lowered. Roof of C20 reconstruction, stack to left has weatherings
under roof-line, as on rear lateral stack, unlikely that there was a former third
storey. Collacombe Manor was the home of the Tremayne family (cf coat of arms over
hall fireplace).
(Sources: Hussey, C.: Collacombe Manor, Devon, Country Life, 19.4. 1962 and 16.4.1962
and Country Life 20.6.1914, pp 914-16. Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: South
Devon 1952).


Listing NGR: SX4308176453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.