This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5563 / 50°33'22"N
Longitude: -4.135 / 4°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 248862
OS Northings: 75123
OS Grid: SX488751
Mapcode National: GBR NW.GCQL
Mapcode Global: FRA 277L.DX5
Entry Name: Kelly College
Listing Date: 22 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93546
Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Tavistock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
The following building shall be added to the list:-
SX 47 NE TAVISTOCK PARKWOOD ROAD
1/10000 Kelly College
Public school. 1872-4 by C F Hansom; west wing of 1897 by H J Snell. Built
of dressed Hurdwick stone with buff limestone bands and dressings; stone-
coped gabled slate roofs with diagonally-set brick flues to stone stacks.
Elongated plan: main range with axial corridor and first floor chapel
(originally Big School) flanked by west wing with chapel and long east
range with rear gabled wings connected by covered passage to dormitory
block and headmaster's house. Gothic Revival style. 2 storeys. South-facing
front of 5:6:5 bays has 2-light traceried windows to central range
articulated by full-height buttresses and 3-light stone-mullioned and
transomed Tudor-arched windows to outer wings; arched doorway to left.
Double-gabled and symmetrical west elevation of 1897 has Tudor-style oriel
window to first-floor left, and 3-light Gothic window to first-floor right
and tall offset buttresses flanking central pointed-arched doorway with
Gothic overlight. The outer wings of the rear elevation are treated in a
similar Domestic Tudor style with some Gothic detail; the central range is
in a more vigorous Gothic Revival style with a similar treatment to its
front elevation but dominated by a 3-storey central projecting bay with a
tall 3-light window, angle buttresses and a ground-floor pointed-arched
arcade with richly-carved Early Gothic style capitals to cylindrical piers.
Covered passage with similar capitals to pointed-arched arcade connects
latter range to west block built as headmaster's house and dormitory block.
This is of 2 storeys and attic with large gabled dormers: it is built in
a Domestic Tudor style with sashes set in paired stone-mullioned Tudor-
arched widows; one-bay projecting wing to south has square bay windows
built as angled buttresses; large 3-light transomed stair window above open
timber porch. Interior: west block includes Minton tile floors, Gothic-
style cornices and fireplaces and panelled doors and shutters. Main school
range has ground-floor classrooms served by rear axial corridor with
corbelled beams. Pointed arches to two stairwells which each have stone
dog-leg stair with arched buttress ingeniously formed as balustrade with
capped newels. At top of east stair has pointed moulded arch with
ballflower stops to library which has 4-bay hammer-beam roof with arch
braces and cast-iron columns with bell capitals to rear aisle. Chapel,
built as Big School, has shafts with fine carved Gothic capitals to similar
hammer-beam roof, a large Tudor-style fireplace with armorial panels to
west, tall panelled dado, C20 Gothic-style reredos and a tall pointed
moulded arch with similar foliate capitals to 2 orders of shafts. Panelled
doors and Tudor-style fireplaces. The school was never built to Hansom's
original designs, which were of a grand scale and clearly modelled on
Clifton College in Bristol and Malvern College.
Listing NGR: SX4885775191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings