History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old National School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sampford Spiney, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5334 / 50°32'0"N

Longitude: -4.0702 / 4°4'12"W

OS Eastings: 253383

OS Northings: 72454

OS Grid: SX533724

Mapcode National: GBR NZ.HQCX

Mapcode Global: FRA 27CN.852

Entry Name: The Old National School

Listing Date: 11 January 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94098

Location: Sampford Spiney, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Sampford Spiney

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Sampford Spiney

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:

SAMPFORD SPINEY SAMPFORD SPINEY
SX 57 SW

7/187 The Old National School

GV II

School, originally church house, and now a private house. Circa late C16 church
house, extended and converted into school in 1888 and extended again in 1899;
converted into house in late C20. Coursed rock-faced granite, original north
wing granite rubble with large dressed granite quoins. Dry slate roof with
small half-hipped ends with brackets to moulded bargeboards; asbestos slates on
rear wing. Gable end and lateral stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. Plan:
small circa 1888 school room with porch and small outshut at the left end in the
angle with a rear (north) wing set back at right angles. The rear wing was
originally the church house and had a first floor doorway in the rear gable end
where the ground level is higher. In 1899 the school was extended and the rear
(right hand) wing is probably of this period. Converted into a private house in
late C20 when first floor of former church house was removed. Exterior: 1
storey. Asymmetrical south west front. Main former schoolroom has 2 large
windows breaking eaves, their round heads in half-hipped dormers. Gabled porch
to left with deeply chamfered basket arch and lean-to on left in angle with
original rear wing (church house). The left side of former church house wing is
blind except for a small blocked opening near ground level to left of centre
with a granite frame. The north east end of wing is built into bank and has a
blocked narrow first floor doorway with granite monolith jambs and small later
casement above. The inner right side of wing facing small yard has large
granite masonry on right with flight of granite steps to higher ground level at
rear, and on left wall rebuilt and 2 large full-height windows inserted. At the
right (south east) end of main range 2 low single storey ranges. Interior:
much altered in late C20 conversion. Original church house north wing's first
floor removed and roof structure replaced. History: The rear (north) wing was
probably the church house in the enfeoffment of 1585 (West Devon Record
Office). It is also depicted as the church house in a plan on the indenture of
1888 when it was presented by Revd J H Parlby and extended and converted into a
Board school. It was extended again in 1899. In late C20 it was converted into
a house.

Sources: West Devon Record Office. Kelly's Directory of Devonshire and
Cornwall, 1902.


Listing NGR: SX5338172452

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.