This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5722 / 50°34'20"N
Longitude: -4.1128 / 4°6'46"W
OS Eastings: 250482
OS Northings: 76852
OS Grid: SX504768
Mapcode National: GBR NX.FCDN
Mapcode Global: FRA 278K.9HS
Entry Name: Beggar's Hatch
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93963
Location: Peter Tavy, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Peter Tavy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 57 NW
4/63 Beggar's Hatch
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17, dated 1686 on hall fireplace, later C17 rear wing,
internal alterations c. 1800, with mid-late C19 external alterations and C20
alterations. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings, asbestos slate
roof, some slates remaining, brick gable stacks and rubble rear lateral stack; first
floor of rear wing originally raised in cob, rebuilt C20 faced in rubble.
Originally 4 rooms, room to end left formerly dairy, room to end right demolished
after flood in C20. Lower end originally to right, front passage door concealed by
lean-to, rear passage door now leading to rear wing, which also encloses original
stair tower. Inner room heated by rear lateral stack. Original stair replaced by c.
1800 stair to rear which divides to right and left giving separate access to first
floor rooms. Overall L-plan formed by rear wing, originally T-plan before
demolition of end room to right.
2 storeys and 3 windows, ground floor has three 4-pane sashes with brick segmental
heads, second from left panelled and glazed C19 door, to end right lean-to with half-
glazed door concealing ledged door with strap hinges c. 1800 and single light in
granite hollow-chamfered surround; door to front of lean-to; first floor has two 4-
pane sashes under eaves and 3-light 3-pane casement to right. Right and has curved
oven projection to right of flue, C20 2-light casement at first floor right; straight
joint to lower 2-storey rear wing with 3-light casement at ground floor and 2-light
at first floor, both C20; single storey outhouse attached to right, 2 door openings
with timber lintels and rag slate roof, C20 doors in gable end. Left end has
asbestos slate-hung gable end. Inner side of rear wing has C20 ground and first
floor lights and half-glazed door; rear wing built around original stair tower with
single light in hollow-chamfered granite surround with leaded lights and iron
stanchion, stepped rear lateral stack to right with slate weatherings; wall continued
in same line as stack with 2-light 6-pane casement at first floor, then wall stepped
back to right with C20 single light at first floor, brick and rubble lean-to along
ground floor level with door and 2-light 2-pane casement.
Interior former rear passage opening has fine door of 2 panels with raised fillets,
studs and strap hinges, heavy battens to rear of door; c. 1800 staight stair set
slightly to right of stair tower, dividing right and left at landing, with turned
balusters and moulded handrail, bottom steps of earlier newel stair in cupboard
underneath. Room to right has fireplace with granite jambs and flat timber lintel,
cloam oven to rear left; room to right has hall fireplace (rear lateral stack) in
granite with hollow-chamfered jambs and lintel, roll-moulded, with initials and date
on central cartouche, BIF/1686, for Isobel Fulford and Badcock, panelled cupboards to
left of c. 1800 alterations, screen partition with raised moulded fillets between
hall and staircase. Roof of C20 reconstruction.
Formerly known as Harford Bridge Farmhouse.
Listing NGR: SX5048276852
Other nearby listed buildings