This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6584 / 50°39'30"N
Longitude: -4.234 / 4°14'2"W
OS Eastings: 242190
OS Northings: 86680
OS Grid: SX421866
Mapcode National: GBR NR.7XZ5
Mapcode Global: FRA 270B.J9G
Entry Name: Hayne
Listing Date: 14 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92514
Location: Stowford, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Stowford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 NW STOWFORD
House, disused at time of survey, 1985. Circa 1810, "complete" circa 1865 (White).
The house was the seat of the Harris family from C16 until 1864. Stone rubble
brought to course with slate roofs with hipped ends concealed by parapets, Gothic
style rendered brick chimneys with paired octagonal shafts and, corner buttresses
with set-offs rise to tall gabled pinnacles with finials. There is a tradition that
the right-hand (north) end of the house incorporates part of the pre 1810 Harris
manor house. Picturesque Gothic design of circa 1810, approximately rectangular in
plan and arranged round a central stair hall lit from above. The principal elevation
faces north east and the house is built into the slope of the land at the south and
west. Unusually thick walls and some slate floors at the right-hand service end
suggest that part of the pre 1810 house may have been adapted as the service wing of
the new house. The 1810 design has pre-archaeological gothic timber and stone panel
traceried windows, a battlemented parapet and buttresses with set-offs. The circa
1865 work externally appears to be restricted to some minor alterations to the main
entrance and possibly to the right-hand service end. 2 storeys. 9-window
approximately symmetrical front divided into 5 bays. The central 3 bays are broken
forward between diagonal buttresses with the middle entrance 3-window bay slightly
set-back. A hollow chamfer and bead string course below the battlementing changes to
a hollow-chamfered string in the outer right-hand bay which has an angle buttress at
the right-hand end. There is a diagonal buttress at the left-hand end of the left
bay. Central arched half-glazed front door with cusped timber tracery in the head.
The door is flanked by buttresses which probably date from the circa 1865 work and
similar buttresses flank the central bay. 2-light timber traceried arched windows to
either side of the front door, three 2-light stone arched traceried windows to the
first floor. The battlemented parapet is carried on shallow corbels to the central
bay. The bays to the right and left of the entrance bay have 2-light stone traceried
windows with square-heads and hoodmoulds with moulded label stops. The outer left-
hand bay has 1- and 2-light timber traceried windows in rectangular architraves. The
outer right-hand bay has 2-light stone traceried windows with hoodmoulds with moulded
label stops to the ground floor only. The south east elevation is gabled to the
front at the right-hand end and has a wide 3-sided entrance turret to the ballroom at
the left-hand end. Fenestration of 2-, 3- and 4-light timber panel traceried
windows, the first floor windows arched. The south west elevation has the ground
floor concealed by the slope of the land and a grand 4-light 4-centred arched timber
traceried window lighting the ballroom and flanked by paired buttresses with set-offs
terminating in tall pinnacles. Other windows are 2- and 3-light with timber tracery
in rectangular architraves. The north west elevation has a first floor oriel window
with diamond leaded panes and a projecting stair turret with a pyramidal lead roof
that rises above the main roofline.
Interior Considerable survival of ambitious Gothic fittings. The notable central
stair hall has an imperial stair with Gothic balusters and wreathed handrails. The
first flight leads up to a long landing, lit from above, to the ballroom. The
landing has open Gothic timber screens at each end, each with 3 cusped arches below
trefoil-headed arcading. The main entrance hall has a chimney piece, doors and
plasterwork of circa 1810. Fittings surviving in the ballroom wing include chimney
pieces and grand decorated ribbed plaster ceilings enriched with foliage motifs,
bosses and pendants. Ground floor room left has a timber cornice decorated with
carved flowers. The ornate ceilings of the ballroom wing probably post-date 1810.
In the early C19 Hayne was the site of some consciously antique ceremonials recorded
by J.B. Wollocombe in his history of Stowford parish. A quarry in a part of the
grounds known as "the Wilderness" was adapted as a picturesque meeting room for the
local hunt and a stretch of ground to the south east of the house is said to have
been used for archery. Hayne was purchased by the Blackburn family in the 1860s and
Wollocombe describes some of the alterations to the house in the late C19. Pevsner
attributes the 1810 build to Sir Jeffry Wyatville but Hayne does not appear in
Robinsons catalogue of Wyatville's works.
J.B. Wollocombe From Morn till Eve
J.M. Robinson The Wyatts (1979)
Listing NGR: SX4219086680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings