History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cuxton Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buckland Monachorum, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4946 / 50°29'40"N

Longitude: -4.1339 / 4°8'2"W

OS Eastings: 248741

OS Northings: 68261

OS Grid: SX487682

Mapcode National: GBR NX.L601

Mapcode Global: FRA 277R.7BT

Entry Name: Cuxton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326378

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92656

Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum

Built-Up Area: Buckland Monachorum

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Buckland Monachorum

Listing Text

BUCKLAND MONACHORUM BUCKLAND MONACHORUM
SX 46 NE
3/56 Cuxton Farmhouse
21.3.67

GV II*

Farmhouse. Circa late C16/early C17 origins extended, re-fronted and re-modelled
internally in 1693. C19 additions. Stone rubble walls at rear and sides, faced in
small ashlar blocks at the front. Where the roof has been raised the walls have
been built up in rubble above the ashlar. Hipped slate roof. 2 rear rubble lateral
stacks and one to side of each wing.
Originally probably 3-room and through passage plan, lowered end to the right, the
hall and lower room heated by rear lateral stacks. In 1693 the house was extended
and considerably remodelled; the quality of construction and interior fittings and
the up to date design and features possibly reflected a rise in the social or
financial standing of the occupants. A wing was added at the front of each end each
consisting of a heated panelled room, the left-hand one at the higher end
considerably smaller. Both were probably intended as parlours, the larger one
possibly for entertaining guests, with the size of the left-hand room suggestive
more of a room for the family to withdraw into. Behind the smaller left-hand wing
the inner room was converted to dairy/service room. The house may have been
extended slightly at the lower end at this stage to incorporate a staircase, with
small service room behind, beyond the lower room. The larger parlour was added in
front of the stairs and lower half of the lower room. An outbuilding wing was added
at the rear at either end in the C19.
2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-bay 4-window front with wing projecting to front
from each end, the right-hand one projecting further. 2-light wooden cross mullion-
transom windows with small panes - one to front of left-hand wing and 3 to central
recessed bay. There is also a ground floor window on the inner face of the left-
hand wing which is a single light probably C19 casement. The right-hand wing has
had an early C19 16-pane hornless sash inserted on the ground floor where originally
there were 2 cross mullion-transomed windows. 2 cross mullion-transomed windows
survive on the first floor of this wing. The ground floor window to the left of the
door still has its original frame of 1693. The central first floor window, that to
the right on the ground floor and to the front of the left-hand wing have C20
casements. The other windows are C19 with H-L hinges. At centre of recessed front
is heavy ovolo-moulded doorframe of 1693 which has a carved griffin's head at the
centre of the lintel. C20 gabled porch hood supported on ornately carved woden
brackets are probably contemporary to doorframe. Stringcourse above ground floor
windows which incorporates a projecting stone above the keystone in the flat arch of
the window below. The windows on the 1st floor also have flat arches with
keystones. Rusticated quoins to each corner and to centre of recessed section which
breaks forward slightly. A leanto against the front of the right-hand wing has a
blocked 4-centred arched granite doorway in its left-hand wall. Left-hand end wall
of house has 2-light hollow chamfered mullion window on ground floor. The window
above it has the vestige of a wooden ovolo-moulded 2-light mullion window frame
which has had a C20 casement inserted into it. At the rear a C19 outbuilding wing
projects from each side. At the centre is a 4-centred granite arched doorway,
chamfered with ball stops. To its right is a wooden 2-light mullion window,
chamfered, with iron stanchion bars. Both window and doorway date from the earlier
build of the house.
Interior contains features from both main periods. The room to the right of the
passage has a granite framed fireplace with straight lintel and continuous roll
moulding dating from the earlier build of the house. A central chamfered crossbeam
probably dates from the same period. The open well staircase at the end of this
room dates from the remodelling in 1693 and has square newels with ball finials,
heavy turned balusters and a closed string. The room to the front of the staircase
has a bolection moulded fireplace with pilasters above. The panelling of the room
is not bolection moulded but simply recessed with a moulded chair rail and a fairly
heavy cornice. The smaller parlour at the front of the left-hand side has a
bolection moulded panel above a recent chimneypiece with the date 1693, there is a
similar cornice to the panelled room. It is likely that this room was also
originally panelled judging from Copeland's report of a visit in 1952 in which he
refers to panelled rooms. On the first floor 2 rooms have bolection moulded
chimneypieces. In one there is a probably contemporary cupboard with panelled doors
and cocks-head hinges.
The importance of this house lies not only in the good quality internal features and
very unaltered facade of 1693 but in its significance as a farmhouse remodelled in a
relatively pretentious way to reflect the onset of classical influence in vernacular
architecture in Devon.


Listing NGR: SX4874168261

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.