This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4953 / 50°29'43"N
Longitude: -4.13 / 4°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 249022
OS Northings: 68335
OS Grid: SX490683
Mapcode National: GBR NX.L10W
Mapcode Global: FRA 277R.8TV
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92666
Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum
Built-Up Area: Buckland Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM BUCKLAND MONACHORUM
SX 46 NE
Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. Mainly later C15 incorporating some earlier fabric, south chapel
probably C16. Restored in 1869. Stone rubble walls with granite dressing. Gable
ended slate roofs to nave, aisles and transepts.
The Norman tub font is the only recognisable survivor in the building of an earlier
church; the west tower,nave,chancel, north and south aisles, transepts and south
porch date from the later C15 although certain incongruities of construction suggest
that part of the older building may have been incorporated. The north and south
chapels are probably later C16 although the disparity in window styles suggests they
may not be exactly contemporary. To the east of the north chapel is a vestry added
probably in the C17. The Church was restored in 1869, re-floored and re-seated
retaining only a few old bench ends.
3-stage west tower, battlemented and with set-back buttresses up to second stage.
Polygonal, crenellated pinnacles, crocketted at the top. Pentagonal stair turret on
north-west corner has small quatrefoil lights. Elaborately moulded west doorway has
4-centred granite arch with quatrefoils in the spandrels and square hoodmould.
Perpendicular 3-light west window in moulded surround. 2-light belfry openings have
similar tracery. Moulded stringcourse above each stage on the south side, the top
one incorporates a gargoyle. The west fronts of the north and south aisles have
crocketted pinnacles as do both transepts. Diagonal and flat intermediate
buttresses. The aisle and transept windows are large with Perpendicular tracery,
very delicately carved on some; those on the transepts and west fronts of the
aisles are 4-light, otherwise 3-light - all relatively unrestored apart from the
most westerly on the south aisle. At the west end of the north aisle is a richly
moulded 4-centre stone arched doorway with leaf design in spandrels and heavy
moulded hoodmould. The north chapel has 2 late 3-light Perpendicular windows,
round-headed lights with the central one taller. In between the 2 is a narrow 4-
centred arched doorway. The vestry adjoins to the east with a 2-light roundheaded
mullion window on the first floor and a single barred granite framed light below.
The east window is Perpendicular with 5-lights. On the south side of the chancel
is a similar late Perpendicular window to the north chapel. The east window of the
south chapel has been blocked by the insertion of the monument inside. It has 2
late C16 3-light windows with cinquefoil heads on its south side. Later stone
arched doorway inserted below the left-hand one. The 2-storey south porch is
battlemented with crocketted pinnacles and diagonal buttresses; doorway similar to
west doorway. Above it is an empty niche.
Good interior has 5-bay arcades to nave with 2 further bays beyond chancel arch.
Slender Pevsner A-type piers with cup capitals; the moulding extends to the 4-
centred arches. The transepts are not exactly in line with the arcade bays and the
aisle-transept arches are lower. The tall moulded chancel arch is lopsided and
strangely constructed appearing to incorporate the fragment of an earlier chamfered
arch. The awkward springing of the arch on the south side may have been caused by
the addition of the south chapel. The tower arch is tall and narrow with piers
similar to the arcade arches. The windows have internally moulded granite frames
and arches. Chamfered granite wall plate. The chancel is slightly narrower than
the nave and in its north wall it has a granite 4-centred arched doorway leading to
The south chapel - known as the Drake Chapel - has a good heavily ribbed stone
tunnel-vaulted roof of granite richly moulded with carved bosses.
The nave roof is of hammerbeam construction with the figures of angels playing
musical instruments - somewhat restored; ceiled and with moulded ribs and bosses -
the central boss depicts the coronation of the Virgin Mary. The chancel aisles and
transepts have the more conventional wagon roofs which appear to have been
Beneath the tower arch is a wooden screen taken from Sheepstor Church. It retains
its original Perpendicular tracery and vine leaf cornice but the panelling and
cresting have been renewed. A few old carved pre-Reformation bench ends survive -
one in the north aisle depicts 2 angels bearing heraldic shields - but for the most
part they are C19 reproductions. In the north-west corner of the Church is the
granite tub front, probably Norman, with simply moulded girdle, which was discovered
in the ground beneath the Church in 1857; this must have been replaced in the C16 by
the font in present use which is granite and octagonal on a panelled and decorated
pedestal. it has carved foliage below the bowl and its sides are decorated with
quatrefoils and shields one of which displays the initial "T" which reputedly refers
to John Toker the last Abbot of Buckland Abbey who became the parish priest after
The Church contains 1 monument by John Bacon on the east wall of the Drake Chapel.
This is a good marble monument to General Elliot, Baron Heathfield who successfully
defended Gibraltar during the long siege by Spain of 1779-84. It depicts a
classical female figure holding up a shield with the arms of Gibraltar to a
medallion of the General. At her feet is a putto wearing a helmet, with the key of
the fortress in his hand. On the base is an inscription with a relief on either
side depicting scenes from the battle. Dated 1795. On the south wall of the chapel
are 2 smaller less elaborate marble monuments the left-hand one by Bacon to Sir
Francis Henry Drake - who died 1794 and the right-hand one by Bacon Junior to the
2nd Baron Heathfield who died 1813. Other notable wall memorials in the chancel are
to Amos Crymes vicar of the parish and his 2 step-daughters who died 1770 - 1806 and
one by the younger Westmacott to Dame Eleanor Drake who died 1841.
The only surviving fragments of old glass are in the East window depicting angels.
The north transept window is by Kempe, 1880. The south transept and west windows
are by Kempe and Trauer 1901 and 1907.
This church has a particularly impressive exterior with most of the original windows
preserved; it also has a fine interior of which the unusual nave roof and the south
aisle are particularly notable features.
Sources: Pevsner's "South Devon" "Churches in the Deanery of Tavistock"; Beatrix
Cresswell. White's Directory. Kelly's Directory
Listing NGR: SX4902768333
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings