History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cottles Barton

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Tawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7885 / 50°47'18"N

Longitude: -3.9015 / 3°54'5"W

OS Eastings: 266065

OS Northings: 100493

OS Grid: SS660004

Mapcode National: GBR KY.ZPFJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 27Q0.7VY

Entry Name: Cottles Barton

Listing Date: 20 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92945

Location: North Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: North Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: North Tawton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
North Tawton

Listing Text

NORTH TAWTON
SS 60 SE
6/62 Cottles Barton
20.2.52
II*
House, formerly probably a small manor house. 1567, extended in late C16 and early-
mid C17, restored in 1866. Front wall and porch built of coursed stone ashlar in
small blocks, cob and stone rubble at sides and rear. Gable ended thatched roof. 3
stacks of small dressed stones - one at each gable end, the left-hand one probably
rebuilt, and projecting lateral stack at front.
Plan: complex development of plan, the exact phases of which can only be
tentatively suggested without a thorough survey. The house appears to have been
new built in 1567 as there is no evidence of medieval work and its plan consisted of
3 rooms with a through passage, lower end to the left, and storeyed porch at the
front. The hall was heated by a front lateral stack but the lower and inner rooms
may have been unheated; it was 2 storeys throughout but the position of the
staircase is uncertain. Above the inner room was a high quality chamber open to the
roof. In 1599 the house began to be upgraded - the inner room was remodelled to
become a good quality parlour and a fireplace was also inserted into the chamber
above. A further heated parlour was added in a wing behind the higher end of the
hall. In the early C17 another room of uncertain function was added beyond the
inner room and a large framed staircase built in a projection at the rear of the
inner room. Probably at this stage the chamber over the inner room had a good
quality plaster ceiling inserted. A further addition was made either in the early
or mid C17 of an unheated probably dairy wing behind the lower room with an
adjoining framed staircase in a projection next to the passage. The house was
restored in 1866 and faced with fine ashlar with stone mullion windows. Also in the
C19 the unheated dairy wing was extended. At an indeterminate date whatever
existed beyond the inner room was demolished.
Exterior: 2 storeys with attic to porch. Imposing 6-window asymmetrical front of
2, 3 and 4-light stone mullions of 1866. The 2 porch windows, however, have
hoodmoulds with carved headstops which are probably original. The first floor
windows have small gables above. The porch has plain segmental stone arch and
crudely carved in a stone above is "AN DNI 1567 TC". The right-hand side of the
porch has a corbelled newel stair projection rising from first floor level. Inside
the porch at the front of the passage is probably the original wooden doorframe,
richly moulded and with a cranked head which has carved leaf design in the
spandrels. Contemporary oak studded plank door. The rear elevation is equally
interesting with the various additions. To the right is the unheated wing which
has on first floor of its inner face 2 C17 wood mullion windows which are unusually
richly moulded. In the angle of this wing is the stair projection with small gable
above. The rear passage doorway is of a similar form to the front although much
plainer, it also has a heavy studded door. The heated rear wing (with chimney now
reduced) projects to left of centre and has on its inner face a 2-light ovolo-
moulded wooden mullion window on the ground floor. On the outer face of this wing
at first floor level is another early window which was partly blocked by the
addition of the adjoining stair turret on its left.
Good interior which shows considerable evidence of the C19 restoration but retains
some very good quality earlier features. The lower room has chamfered cross beams
which might have been renewed in the restoration. The hall has a fireplace with
chamfered wooden lintel and hollow chamfered granite jambs. Above it is a plaster
plaque with the-date 1567 in high relief. The wing at the rear of the hall has a
3-bay moulded framed ceiling. The rise in status of the inner room is
reflected in the very high quality of its features. It has a decorative plaster
ceiling which is probably late C16 of the Phase I type with single moulded ribs
forming a geometric design with kite shapes and floral angle sprays. The walls are
panelled but to the rear the panelling was moved inwards probably in the C19 to form
a passage behind. The panelling may well be contemporary with the ceiling, it is of
an early debased classical form and above the fireplace it has arcading with reeded
pilasters and high relief caryatids - above each pilaster is a grotesque animal
heads with carved frieze in between. The plaster cornice is C19. At the rear of
this room is circa early C17 framed oak staircase which divide at the first landing
and has an unusual canopy arrangement above. The right-hand section of stairs
leads to the chamber above the inner room and at its head is a contemporary double
wooden ovolo-moulded doorframe, the left-hand part of which led to the end room
which has now disappeared and less than half of the frame survives. There is a
similar doorframe at the head of the stairs on the other side with a C17 panelled
door. Inside the high quality first floor chamber is an internal porch with debased
classical detail of reeded pilasters on high pedestals. Contemporary door panelled
in geometric square design. Ornate plaster overmantle with strapwork design and
central shield below in which are the initials MC and the date 1599. The moulded
plaster ceiling is probably early C17 and canopied with single moulded ribs in
geometric design with floral angle sprays and central pendant. Room over rear
parlour has plaster frieze and cornice.
Roof: Over the main range are 5, probably original, principals with curved feet,
threaded ridge and purlins. The 3 lower end trusses have cambered collars halved
onto the principals with dovetail joints, the 2 over the hall have morticed collars
as do those over the rear parlour wing. There is a solid wall between the hall and
inner room rising to the apex. Over the inner room is a high quality truss with
cyma moulding and similar moulded purlins, the apex has been cut off. The whole
roof is un-smoke-blackened.
This house obviously rose in status in the late C16 and early C17 and its high
quality features reflect this, it also has a very picturesque exterior and occupies
a prominent roadside position.


Listing NGR: SS6606000490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.