This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5157 / 50°30'56"N
Longitude: -4.0669 / 4°4'0"W
OS Eastings: 253556
OS Northings: 70471
OS Grid: SX535704
Mapcode National: GBR NZ.JZ1V
Mapcode Global: FRA 27CP.PDS
Entry Name: Unoccupied House Immediately to South-East of Higher Dittisham Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92870
Location: Walkhampton, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Walkhampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 57 SW
13/140 Unoccupied house immediately to
- south-east of Higher Dittisham
Unoccupied house, formerly longhouse, now in use as store and stabling. Circa late
C16 or early C17 with addition of 1663 and alterations in C20. Stone rubble walls.
Gable-ended corrugated iron roof.
Plan: The building began as a relatively modest longhouse with shippon at the lower,
right-hand end, which had a through-passage at its higher end divided only by a
light partition. To the left of the passage was a small hall with an axial
fireplace backing onto passage. Beyond this was a small unheated inner room and at
the rear, overlapping the 2 rooms, was a newel stair projection. In 1663 a parlour
wing was built projecting from the higher end and involving a partial rebuild of the
inner room. This wing is now gutted internally but preserves its original external
door giving independent access. The position of the surviving fireplace and windows
suggests an arrangement on the ground floor of a lobby entrance with one or possibly
2 service rooms to the left and the parlour to the right heated by an axial
fireplace in the wall adjoining the hall. There was also a gable end fireplace on
the 1st floor of the wing. At this stage the hall was probably relegated to kitchen
status. The house was probably abondoned in the later C19 and substantial changes
were made to it throughout the C20. The shippon was reduced in height, and divided
into loose boxes with the passage partition removed and doors blocked; the doorway
from hall to passage was also blocked and the original internal partitions in the
Exterior: 2 storeys. L-shaped with larger range sloping downhill consisting of hall
and shippon which is now 1 storey and has 2 stable doors. The original drain-hole
survives in its lower gable end. At the higher, left-hand end, of its front wall
the blocked passage doorway can be seen. A C20 plank door has been inserted into
the front of the hall at the left end of the main range with a loading doorway
above. The wing projects at the left-hand end with a 4-centred chamfered granite
doorway on the inner face. To its left is the hollow-chamfered granite frame of a
2-light mullion window whose central mullion has been removed. There is evidence
of a similar window on the ground floor of the gable end. To the left of the arched
doorway, on the 1st floor is a tall inserted C20 window opening and to its right is
a granite datestone inscribed "1663 RPM".
Interior: Hall fireplace has plain granite lintel and unchamfered granite jambs.
Oven in right-hand side. At the higher end of the hall is a chamfered half beam set
into the wall. Stone newel stairs at rear of hall. The former parlour preserves
its blocked fireplace with granite jambs and ovolo-moulded wooden lintel which has
hollow-stepped and notched stops. The 1st floor fireplace in the wing has a
chamfered wooden lintel and chamfered granite jambs.
Despite recent alterations the main fabric of this house survives with a number of
features from both building phases; it represents an interesting example of a modest
parlour wing house.
Source: Devon Farmhouses III - S. R. Jones : Trans. Devonshire Assoc 1971
Listing NGR: SX5355670471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings