This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.955 / 50°57'18"N
Longitude: -4.1883 / 4°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 246399
OS Northings: 119565
OS Grid: SS463195
Mapcode National: GBR KK.N2SW
Mapcode Global: FRA 263L.B3K
Entry Name: Ruins of Priory Church
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91418
Location: Frithelstock, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Frithelstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Frithelstock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
11/102 Ruins of Priory
Ruins of Augustinian Priory, founded c. 1220 by Robert de Bello
Campo (Beauchamp). Ruins of priory church, in Early English
style, date from soon after 1220; Lady Chapel built c. 1330 for
Bishop Walter de Stapledon; west tower also of c. 1330. Walls of
coursed slatestone rubble. Plan consisted of Lady Chapel to east
of chancel and nave, the latter with foundations of a tower to
its south west corner (adjoining Church of St. Mary and St.
Gregory (q.v).) Foundations of Lady Chapel has stone altar
projection to east, and priest's door to south west with
roll-and-tongue stop to chamfered jambs. Similar jamb to north
side of doorway to chancel. North wall of chancel has, from
east, blocked pointed-arched opening, pointed-arched window
opening, and pointed- arched doorway with roll-and-tongue stops
to chamfered jambs and hollow-chamfered imposts. North wall of
nave, which has mortice slots for roof of former cloister, has
segmental arch over blocked doorway with roll-and-tongue stops to
chamfered jambs; plain string course and lower sections of
clerestorey windows above; at west end of this wall is a tall
lancet window between two blocked doorways. Remains of arches
and doorways survive at west end of north side. Wall of nave,
where it entered a tower; two doorways have roll-and-tongue stops
to chamfered jambs. West gable end of nave has three graduated
lancets, trefoiled to centre; mid C13 pointed-arched
hollow-moulded doorway below central window, has C17 frame and
studded door. Inner side of north chancel wall has recess.
Moulded stonework for tracery etc lies about site. History: The
priory was first colonized from Hartland Abbey, and its ruins are
the most notable surviving remains of a religious house in north
Devon. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (A.M. Devon No. 13g.)
(Buildings of England: North Devon, p. 88; National Monuments
Record; R.P. Chope, "Frithelstock Priory", 1929); C.A. Ralegh
Radford, "Frithelstock Priory and the Parish Church", Proceedings
of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society, Vol. 2 (Part
One), 1933, pp. 20-27).
Listing NGR: SS4638819567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings