History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Monkokehampton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8317 / 50°49'54"N

Longitude: -4.0163 / 4°0'58"W

OS Eastings: 258105

OS Northings: 105515

OS Grid: SS581055

Mapcode National: GBR KS.WY3D

Mapcode Global: FRA 26GW.Z0R

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 93315

Location: Monkokehampton, West Devon, Devon, EX19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Monkokehampton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Monkokehampton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Iddesleigh

Listing Text

MONKOKEHAMPTON MONKOKEHAMPTON
SS 50 NE
4/201 Church of All Saints
-
22.2.67
GV II
Parish church. Tower early C16, the rest of the church rebuilt in 1855 by Sir
Stafford Northcote. Stone rubble walls - coursed to the tower with granite quoins.
Gable-ended slate roof with decorative ridge tiles, octagonal stone battlemented
chimney.
Plan: all that survives of the early church is the west tower, - the nave, chancel,
vestry and south porch were rebuilt in 1855.
Exterior: 3 stage tower with chamfered stringcourses. Battlemented with crocketted
pinnacles surmounted by small crosses. 2-light square-headed belfry openings. 4
centred arched granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding. Late
Perpendicular simple 3-light granite west window. Slits for stairs on north side.
The nave has Perpendicular style 1, 2 and 3-light windows. The east window is 4-
light. Single storey gabled south porch with chamfered 2-centred arched doorway.
Interior: 4-centre arched south doorway simply moulded. Pointed chancel arch has
pointed inscription above it. 4-centred tower arch with broad chamfer. On the
south wall of the chancel is the cusped arch of former earlier sepulchre which was
originally on north wall of old church. Simple arch-braced roof to nave, A-frame
roof to chancel. Chancel has probably original stencilled frieze at chair rail
level. The font is C20. Wall memorials in tower of 1671 and 1754.
The east window was in the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Notes on Devon Churches: Deanery of Okehampton.


Listing NGR: SS5810505515

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.