This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.986 / 50°59'9"N
Longitude: -4.1289 / 4°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 250671
OS Northings: 122892
OS Grid: SS506228
Mapcode National: GBR KM.L5WB
Mapcode Global: FRA 267H.WSN
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Last Amended: 19 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91426
Location: Huntshaw, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Huntshaw
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Huntshaw St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
8/109 Church of St. Mary
4.10.60 Magdalene (formerly
listed as Parish
Church of St Mary
GV. II *
Anglican parish church. Early C14; nave rebuilt and west tower
built c. 1499; restored 1862. Coursed slatestone rubble with
ashlar dressings; rendered nave and chancel walls; gabled slate
roof. Plan of aisled nave and chancel, with north-east vestry,
north chapel and north aisle. Chancel has mid C19
Decorated-style 3-light east window; early C14 Decorated 2-light
south window, with cinquefoiled lights; north vestry has label
mould with C15 and C19 stops over reset C15 square-headed
cinquefoiled window and plain mid C19 pointed-arched north door.
North aisle has mid C19 offset buttresses and 2 mid C19 two-light
Decorated-style windows. South side of nave has similar mid C19
two and 3-light windows; the latter with some C14 mouldings. Mid
C19 south porch has pointed-arched doorways and early C19
two-panelled inner door. Three-stage west tower, with offset
diagonal buttresses and string courses; early C14 three-light
rectilinear window above late C15 two-centred moulded doorway;
label moulds over 2-light belfry windows with chamfered depressed
arches. Interior: chancel has reset medieval inlaid floor tiles;
mid C19 painted waggon roof with scrolled borders to blue panels;
mid C19 wall painting around early C14 hollow-chamfered rear
arch. Early C14 pointed moulded north arch set on moulded column
with enriched leaf and figure carving to capital and image niche.
Nave has late C15 two-bay north arcade which has three-centred
arches set on similar capitals and columns with crocketed image
niches. South aisle has C16 waggon roof with moulded ribs, carved
bosses and vine-leaf carving to arcade plate. Tall round arch to
west tower, which has early C14 hollow-chamfered pointed-arched
doorway to stairs. Fittings: mid C19 brass candelabra; carved
mid C19 benches in choir; mid C19 pews; mid C19 octagonal font.
Monuments in north aisle: Baroque wall monument to Thomas
Saltren, d. 1700, has inscription set in garlanded cartouche with
floral and leaf swags, palm fronds at base and angel heads at
top. Baroque wall monument to Mary Townsend, d. 1704, has broken
pediment of swags set above Corinthian columns of black marble,
enriched floral carving and brackets flanking black marble
inscription surrounded by ballflower ornament with 3 skulls at
base. C17 and C18 slate ledger stone in aisle and nave include
one dated 1641 with inscribed skull, hourglass and poetic
inscription. In 1499 Bishop Lacy "granted an indulgence in aid of
the rebuilding of the fabric".
(Buildings of England: North Devon, p. ; W.G. Hoskins, Devon,
1954 (1972 edn), p. 414).
Listing NGR: SS5067122892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings