This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8808 / 50°52'50"N
Longitude: -4.3512 / 4°21'4"W
OS Eastings: 234697
OS Northings: 111666
OS Grid: SS346116
Mapcode National: GBR KB.SX44
Mapcode Global: FRA 16SS.0P6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91609
Location: Sutcombe, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Sutcombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sutcombe St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 31 Sd
1/57 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Norman origins but mainly a C15 structure restored in 1876 and tower
rebuilt in 1899. Rubble walls, coursed to tower. Gable-ended slate roofs.
Plan: nave, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. The Norman south
doorway denotes the early origins of the church but the building is largely
Perpendicular - the nave, north and south aisles are C15. A fairly precise date
can be deduced for the north aisle - since one of the capitals to its arcade is
carved with arms of Prideaux, Hody and Spencer probably to commemorate the marriage
in the mid C15 of William Prideaux to Alice the Giffard heiress whose ancestors
these were. The windows of much of the church appear to have been restored in the
C17. The smaller south aisle - known as the Thuborough aisle from tne seat of the
Prideaux - probably C15 but somewhat earlier. The west tower was rebuilt in 1899.
A general restoration of the church took place in 1876.
Exterior: 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, crenellated with obelisk finials. No
west doorway 2-light trefoiled belfry openings. North aisle has 4 tall C17 3-light
mullion windows. Rectangular rood stair projection between the 2 left-hand windows.
Granite north doorway has depressed 4-centred head with worn mouldings and square
hoodmould. East end of aisle has C17 3-light debased Perpendicular granite window.
The east ends of both aisles are parallel with that of the chancel. 3-light
sandstone east window of Perpendicular style dates from 1876. Similar window at
east end of south aisle. This aisle does not extend the full length of the nave.
It has two 3-light C17 mullion windows and a blocked priest's door inbetween
incorporating a small carving apparently of a bishop's head. The soutn wall of nave
also has a C17 3-light window towards the west end. A datestone of 1630 set into
the west end wall of the south aisle may denote when tnese windows were put in.
Gabled south porch with simple almost round-headed rubble doorway. Slate sundial
above dated 1785.
Interior: porch has partly restored medieval wagon roof with moulded ribs and
unusual bosses formed by quatrefoils with a central carved image. Simple C12 south
doorway with semi-circular tympanum chamfered jambs and projecting imposts.
Internal walls have C20 plaster. 5-bay granite north arcade of Pevsner A-type piers
with carved wreathed capitals and 4-centred moulded arches. 3-bay south arcade of a
different stone with similar piers but different capitals and narrower more pointed
arches. No chancel arch. Rubble 4-centred tower arch. In north wall is 4-centred
granite doorway to rood stairs. Good trefoiled piscina in east wall of chancel.
flagon roof over north aisle restored but retains some of its moulded ribs and carved
bosses. Good carved bench ends throughout, some restored, mainly displaying
heraldic devices of local families such as De Esse, Gifford, Spencer, Churchill,
Prideaux and Edgecumbe. Fine C16 carved pulpit supported on stem with 4 carved
brackets in form of mythical creatures. Rood screen to nave is largely a
restoration but some of the Medieval work survives in the panels.
Octagonal C15 granite font with carved panels on tapering shaft. East window of
south aisle has Medieval stained glass reset in its head, displaying the arms of De
Esse, Spencer, Churchill and Downey. Medieval Barnstaple floor tiles to nave,
chancel and east end of both aisles.
To either side of the east window in south aisle are wall memorials to members of
the Prideaux family both of similar design with large obelisks above a slate plaque
and armorial shield below. The left-hand one is undated but the other has the dates
1742 and 1764.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy
Listing NGR: SS3469711666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings