This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9545 / 50°57'16"N
Longitude: -4.0001 / 4°0'0"W
OS Eastings: 259612
OS Northings: 119134
OS Grid: SS596191
Mapcode National: GBR KT.N2H6
Mapcode Global: FRA 26HL.CFM
Entry Name: Dadlands Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91684
Location: High Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX37
Civil Parish: High Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bickington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NE
8/68 Dadlands Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid C17, probably largely rebuilt c.1840. Minor late C20 addition.
Rendered, probably over stone rubble and cob. Hipped asbestos-slate roof. Rendered
brick end stacks.
Plan and development: Two-room central entrance plan (facing east) with central
entrance/staircase hall, integral end stacks, and pair of wings projecting at right
angles to rear, that to left formerly kitchen with external end stack and that to
right dairy. Porch to front. Late C20 infill between rear wings. Two storeys.
Exterior: Symmetrical 3-bay front; C19 three-light wooden casements in end bays and
central first-floor C19 small-paned 2-light wooden casement. Central doorway with
late C19 half-glazed door (3 lower panels and 3 tall glazed upper panels) and gabled
porch with segmental-arched entrance and wooden side benches. Left-hand return front
has C19 three-light wooden casements to each floor at left (lighting rear wing) and
roughly central first-floor C19 two-light wooden casement. Right-hand return front
has first-floor C19 two-light small-paned wooden casement to right and ground-floor
wooden casement lighting former dairy (once with internal boarded wooden shutters).
Roughly central doorway. Raking buttress to side wall too.
Interior: Stone-flagged entrance/staircase hall with C19 matchboarded dado.
Staircase of c.1840 with open string and stick balusters (2 per tread). Formerly
with door at foot of stairs and with door to cupboard to right of staircase (both
since removed). Left-and right-hand ground-floor front rooms have C17 chamfered
cross beams with runout stops. Left-hand ground-floor room has fireplace of c.1840
with stone jambs and reused C17 deep-chamfered wooden lintel with runout stops.
Window seat to front window. C19 boarded door between entrance hall and left-hand
room. Right-hand ground-floor room has stone-flagged floor, and bench along front
and side walls (shortened along front wall). Large open fireplace to right with
stone jambs, C17 cambered chamfered wooden lintel with runout stops, and 2 cloam
ovens. Former kitchen in left-hand rear wing has open fireplace with wooden lintel
and wooden settle. Former dairy in right-hand rear wing has low slate shelves (some
rebuilt). The house forms part of an early C19 planned farmstead, which also
includes a range with barn, stable, granary and cartshed (q.v.)
Listing NGR: SS5961219134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings